Mummy, Why did my fish Die ?

karlos

Ok, I feel like a five year old asking this, but I every so often I get a fish that just seems to give up the ghost for no apparent reason and I am damned if I can work out why.

Yesterday was one of those days. Everything in the tank was cool, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates non existent, all fish happy, plants producing lots of O2, no major upsets or fights.

Then just after feeding I see my flame zebra danio zapping around the tank in a fit, struggling to keep upright and hanging in the plants in obvious distress.

Although he was in pretty bad shape I got my Hospital tank out and siphoned some tank water in and transferred a filter and heater in. Then I go to rescue the little guy and do you think I can find him?! No way! He had gone to ground. :evil:

I did find him a couple off hours later, hanging in the Java moss all pale with both eyes missing (tasty treats for the corys?)

Anyway he looked perfectly normal (aside from the eye thing :o ) No marks, lesions bloat or anything so I am wondering what went wrong?!

I realise that we all have to go sometime and I'm not getting all sentimental about it (really I'm not! :( ) but it would be nice to know why!!! Give me some closure here!

I don't think it was water quality, I have rummies and Blue rams that are perfectly happy in the same tank.

I was thinking about carrying out a wee fishy post mortem but I really wouldn't know what to look for. So what do you do in these circumstances?

Karlos