Balloon Mollies

bedazzled

Has any one bred Balloon Mollies?

I have just been to the LFS and saw some and HAD to have them lol sooo cute. It is not like me to do this, usually I research the fish for ages before I buy. So essentially I made an impulse purchase lol and I have bought a M and F but I think I should get another F at some point too so the one I have dosen't get harrassed constantly.

any way.... My question is, what are your breeding hints for these fish :D

I don't like the look of the plain mollies, these just appealed because they were different and the colours are cool.

LOL back to my original plan lol I was going to breed leopard danios or guppys but I got sidetracked when I saw these today :oops:

I like them and it is my tank they are in afterall

:bow::hail::bow::hail::bow: Thats true and it doesn't matter what other people think aslong as your happy with them thats all that matters. There is alot of fish that I don't like that other people have that I don't like but I don't say that they're ugly and you should get rid of them. I'd get some if you like them.

:bow::hail::bow::hail::bow: Thats true and it doesn't matter what other people think aslong as your happy with them thats all that matters. There is alot of fish that I don't like that other people have that I don't like but I don't say that they're ugly and you should get rid of them. I'd get some if you like them.

I have got them cam, lol was a impulse buy and now I am wondering if I should have lol

I am looking for something a bit different that is relatively easy to breed to have my first attempt at breeding

They already have some Cam lol, Teres nothibng wrong with owning them, i just dont think that Breeding them and spreading them round is good.

:oops: :oops: whoops must not have read it properly :lol: . Yeah maybe don't breed them (but if you really want to theres nothing stopping you). Platys are also a great choice they are really colourful they're livebearers, they're hardy and they're in my opinion harder to breed than guppys.

:oops: :oops: whoops must not have read it properly :lol: . Yeah maybe don't breed them (but if you really want to theres nothing stopping you). Platys are also a great choice they are really colourful they're livebearers, they're hardy and they're in my opinion harder to breed than guppys.

I have bred platys in the community tank by mistake lol but my male karked it so I only have 1 adult female left and the only surviving youngun which is now about 6 months old lol

I have baby guppies in there too, they are terrible LOL like damn rabbits :P

What about breeding corys, BNs, wcmm or try and get a tyrue guppy breeding line going. You could try breeding fighters (they are sooooo cool to breed) but you would need a bit of room to house them all.

What about breeding corys, BNs, wcmm or try and get a tyrue guppy breeding line going. You could try breeding fighters (they are sooooo cool to breed) but you would need a bit of room to house them all.

I did think about BN. I was going on what my LFS would be likely to buy from me as they have local suppliers of most things. Although it is likely they would take what ever I wanted to supply them I was just trying to plug a gap in the market and not take sales from some one else lol

The Guppies really do appeal and as they are sooooo easy to get to breed maybe I should stick with them for now.

I have not seen any of the nice ones up here though, they are all bitsas lol

Where would I source decent breeding fish from?

Hey Bedazzled,

I have a brackish tank with Sailfin mollies, and another tank which I used to breed my guppies in.

The guppies were not purchased to breed from, but seen as how they did it themselves, I went with it for a while, and it was a joy and a pleasure to watch my females give birth then raise the fry.

My mollies I purchased just because I have a brackish tank, and I am waiting for some more exciting brackish species to come my way.

My feeling is that if you want to try and breed them, you should. There's nothing saying you have to breed them and sell them on for others to breed from, why not just try for a breeding certificate? Or, you could move the babies on to other community display tanks - there are a few people who have tanks set up in retirement homes and kindergartens/daycares that have fish just solely because they are nice to look at and have nice colours.

My theory is if you like them, buy another female just to relieve the pressure on your first one, and you may find they do it all by themselves - just keep an eye out for when the female looks fatter than normal, or of you see fry so you can rescue them.

Some of us breed accidentally, but there's nothing that forces us to sell them or encourage others to breed from what we produce. :)

Thanks for your reply spink.

I will have to get another female because the male is terrible!! I had been led to believe the guppys were the same but they female guppies tend to do most of the chasing around here lol and they are out numbered by the males. However these mollies are a very different story, the poor female hardly gets a minutes peace so I will be off to the LFS in the morning to get another female. Hopefully they have some, I have never seen these there before and there was not many either.

I am also concerned that because of the size of them and the amount of waste they make that I am going to be overstocked. My tank is not that big and I have alot of fish in there, I may just have to do more frequent water changes and gravel vacs

That sounds like a plan! :D

I went out my LFS this afternoon and saw one lone male balloon molly - he looked cool but I just don't have the right space, and there were no females.

My mollies are poo machines! :roll: I cleaned my tank on Friday and by yesterday there was a pile of poop on top of the bogwood!

I would say the extra gravel vacuum ans water changes will be enough until you can sort out a larger tank or a second one, depending on what you do long term.

Good Luck, and above all, have fun with your fish and your breeding if you decide to go ahead (though you may not get a choice with that if they go ahead and just do it!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...