Places in Coromandel?

nick777

Hi all, i'm planning a long weekend trip to Coromandel. Is there anything that's definitely worth a visit? Any attractions/activities?

Also I'm thinking to bring a small BBQ machine and hopefully gather some shellfish such as paua & etc and have a BBQ picnic, where would be the place to go please?

Any comments would be helpful!!! :bow:

forget the paua

18kms north of Coromandel town is a beach called Waitete Bay really nice on a southerly or east

Port Charles is well worth the drive to Sandy Bay

if the winds are from the south west then stick to the dark side (eastern coromandel)

all 3 resturants at Coro town are worth while although you are paying city prices.

Water world, the gold stamper battery and the rail trip are all worth while in Coro town

Where are you staying?

We don't know where we are staying yet, I thought it was a good idea to find out what to do first...the gold stamper battery sounds pretty interesting! and Water world!!!How's hot water beach?

yea, maybe no paua, but what about other shellfish like pipi or mussel?

All good places suggested. We loved our time up there a couple of years ago and never ran out of things to see and do.

You have to do Driving Creek Railway, Waiau Waterworks and the Butterfly and Orchid Garden at Thames. We also enjoyed Rapaura Gardens and don't miss the Ngatea Water Gardens (not quite Coromandel but worth the stop). The Ngatea gardens have funny signs all the way through and very well set up displays. Kids love it (they love the waterworks too). I think it must be the only gardens in NZ with a pterodactyl nesting area! :lol:

We hired a house for a week at Tairua and headed out in a different direction each day.

Have a look at my Photobucket albums here

totally forgot about the Butterfly hot houses... a MUST do for sure

BTW I have a bach at Waitete Bay... thats why I know the place

Mussels... not worth collecting them as a $10 bag will fill you up.

Plenty of Scallops but not yet in season and I do have a paua spot that has a few legals but thumb screws wont get that info from me. We take two per year as I dont think anyone else knows where they are. Yea, I know 2 isnt really worth it but it adds to New Years dinner

I remember Waitete Bay from over thirty years ago, really nice! There was somewhere near called "gemstone bay" I snorkled for hours. Lots of petrified wood rounded and polished in the water. Memories are great. Thanks for the blast from the past Barrie.