Whats your favourite cichlid book?

karlos

Hi all

I want to learn more about cichlids, particularly Malawis, so I thought that I would buy a book and bone up on it.

Then I checked on Amazon and found that there are about 30!

I'm totally confused about which one to pick. I'm looking for a book that describes the different species but also covers subjects like environment, best ways to set up a tank for different areas, compatability, plants, Breeding etc (so pretty much everything really :D )

So I thought who better to ask than the experts! Whats your favourite cichlid book and why?

Thanks

Karlos

Mine would have to be

The most complete colour lexicon of Cichlids

With every known cichlid illustrated in colour

By Dr. Herbert R . Axelrod

I have a sighed copy bought quite a few years ago

It's around 4 inches thick Always looking and drooling over some of the fish which we can't get here

Would recommend this book to anyone interested in Cichlids probably thicker now with more pictures added should you still be able to buy it.

For the top of the range I wouldnt go past the Brand new Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat 4th ed

Although its not cheap its one of the best books you can buy and all the information is upto date

Or the back to Nature range is also great for a cheap alternative

Brad

My fav cichlids book would be my jumbo hard cover book on Lake Malawi Cichlids... AD Konings... Just a brilliant book and with beautiful photography... 8)

God, are you still paying the morgage off on it ? I saw this in Redwoods today - a snip at $240 !!! It looks lovely though, but Bob has sealed all his remaining books in plastic wrap as people were using his place as a library, lol. Fair enough too - who would pay that for a book that had been thumbed through by a hundred others beforehand !?

Wow thanks! Do you think its best to buy these off amazon. I checked but several that you mention are not available there.

To give you an example to answer this question - there was a book I wanted that was $130 everywhere in NZ (give or take a couple of bucks). I got it on Amazon and it cost me $58 landed !!!

:lol: :lol: No Aquatopia... book was paid for ages ago :lol: Pricey aye, but well worth it just for the gorgeous pictures :lol:

Cool, yeah it looks a great investment :) Can you let me know the full title and/or ISBN so I can check it out on Amazon ? Ta :D

There are some real expensive books out there that is for real, we are adding to our african books slowly but surely... have a neat Tanganyikan one I have my eye on, but its 200 smackers!! Hmmm not sure how I can justify that without ending up divorced hehehe

I took a look at AD Koning's Book Of Cichlids And All The Other Fishes Of Lake Malawi on Amazon too.

It has maps and aerial photos of the areas of the lake! Wow now thats comprehensive.... still I might have to put a few more pennies in the piggy bank, (and accumulate some brownie points! :lol:), before I can afford to get that one...

Thanks for the advice though. Maybe it can be a birthday+ xmas present rolled into one...

Karlos

Ive purchased a number of books over the years but the top three for me are:

Peacocks: Aqualog African Cichlids III Malawi II. by Erwin Schraml

Tropheus: Cichlid Quarterly Tropheus Species

Malawi: Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat 3rd Edition, Ad Konings

Hey Peanuts

Im on the Gold Coast about 45 mins south of Brisbane

Let me know when ya coming and ill give you some directions for ya depending on where ya staying

Afrikan let me know what ya after and I am sure we can work something out

Im not sure on Postage costs but shouldnt be to bad for a couple of books

Brad

freakyfish,were staying on the coast were booked into ................ towers

duh i can't remember the name.will definatly be looking at all the sights,will have to rely on some local knowledge as to what is worth a visit as time will be at a premium,only have 10 days sooooo much to see