WHAT HAPPENED

cichlid7

Are you referring to the black area or the fact the coral is hung over and limp? If you mean the black stuff then does it peel away easily and does it have a reddish tinge? if so its probably cyano.

If you mean the limp appearance at the coral then I'm not great at coral IDs but that looks like a sinularia or some sort of devils finger leather? If so they often retract their polyps and shed their outer layer. In a couple of days the polyps extend again and they appear plump and happy. Mine does it a couple of times a month

ID is hard from the photo but i think it is a green sinulara, a hard one to get established as it is very prone to exactly what the picture shows, when getting established in a new tank.

There are 2 main options, firstly leave it and hope for the best, or secondly frag it. Either way it is probably more than 50% chance that you will lose the coral, but IMO chances of at least something surviving will be increased if you frag it. What you do is cut 3 or 4 branches off, a decent distance away from the sick looking part. Then you put a rubber band around a bit of rock, and tuck the fragment of the coral behind the rubber band to secure it to the rock. Tuck it in where there is a slight hollow in the rock so the rubber band is not digging in to the frag too much. Try to place these frags in several places around the tank, where there is plenty of light and especially, good current. If they survive they will eventually attach themselves to the rock. Also, put decent current on to the mother coral also, you might get lucky and save it. The frags are already in poor shape so don't get your hopes too high, but it costs nothing to give it your best shot.

Oh well, happens to most of us, especially when moving corals or setting up a new tank.

But no need to feel bad about it, once your skill levels come up you will be breeding more corals than you need as they grow & you are forced to prune them.

But don't get another leather for a little while, those bacteria will lurk in the tank for a while and can spread to other leathers.

thanks

i am planning on getting the 600L tank inside on sunday the only problem is the tank wont fit through the door :lol: so my dad came up with the idea of ripping out the front door and all the surround etc.. and getting the tank in. the next problem is it takes 4 to lift the tank and i have just stuffed my back so getting my brother to get a few of his mates to come around.

then comes the good timing guys :roll: :oops: :lol:

Yes, you have what i THINK, is a sarcophyton (toadstool leather), next to the heater, plus what is commonly called a "cabbage leather". However, they are there, nothing you can do just hope for the best.

However i did notice in the pic those leathers are not looking the best, to me they look like they are suffering from a lack of water movement. But at least they are not showing any signs of infection.

But longer term they will want more flow than it looks like they have, they can handle a lot of flow.

are you talking about this one

7.jpg

if so it has opened out and looks really healthy now

those pictures were taken only 24 - 36 hours after i put the corals in the tank

Its not a toadstool, more a type of finger leather

The polysps on it are tiny, look like little .. um... spikes on a cactus, with massive spaces between them, very slow growing.