freshwater crayfish and amano shrimp

samstylez

Does anyone have a freshwater crayfish and some amano shrimp that they want to sell? Am keen to get hold of some. Have already got one cray in the tank.

Also any other ideas for some other interesting/unusual pets for a tank?

Crayfish are easy to find in small streams, especially at night with a torch. Really easy to keep, and indeed preferably singly.

There are heaps of threads here about keeping crayfish, do a search (ignore the message saying the search function is disabled) :)

THere are native shrimp too, very cool but they can make good crayfish food if they aren't quick.

So are the freshwater ones! (actually they *may* be the same one)

They have their noses high in the air like they are snobbing everyone and scurry about in any direction as if 'front' and 'back' held no meaning to them. I would love to have some again, very cute.

How difficult and how do you convert shrimp to tropical temps---say 22-23 deg C.

I think they do ok up to about 25c. Just bring them up slowly and they should be fine. Iv read reports on them in tropical tanks and them doing well.

Next time i go near the sea im getting a bunch of them for one of my planted tanks.

We have freshwater crays outside in a pond... a very heavily rocked up built up pond, 600 deep... about 1000 litres, run a sump on it, keeps the water very clear... I keep about 5 crays in there, they have their own territory, amazing to watch interaction and feed time, we also have a reasonable size school of Inanga... very cute...

As stated before, you aren't allowed to sell freshwater cray in NZ unless they are farmed. There are freshwater crays for sale in some LFS as the crays have been farmed and purchased from the legalised institute that bred them.

What do you feed them, or do they live on algae and leftovers?

detritus feeders so will eat almost anything even algae

not ghost shrimp different species - burrowing ghost shrimp is Callianassa filholi

or the one in local water with red mark through middle is Palaemon affinis, or New Zealand glass shrimp,

• 8 years later...