removing silicon of glass?!?!?

A-town...

easy...ho ho ho you gotta be kiddin

they is no easy way and even the solvents dont work all that well

As Livingart said use a blade

Call in to either a hobby shop or glass merchant and obtain a stiff back razor blade

If your in West Auck, get in touch with me

Have abig scar on my thumb knuckle from the same thing - did it on Boxing Day 2007 and the scar is still bright pink!!

Very difficult job. Sometimes you have to break the divider (smash it) to get it out. If you do be careful of two things - that it doesn't break the other glass and doesm't cut you up while you're man-handling it...

Why would you want to remove the silicon from glass? I don't know if it can be done, and if it could would likely require a pretty advanced laboratory setup. Andd, being as glass is made primarily from silicon oxide(Silica) you'll end up with...Well, I guess some oxygen gas and a small pile of some other chemicals.

Of course a small pile of misc chemicals does make a good 4 foot tank. I'd suggest in your case you'd be better off removing the silicone from the glass instead of the silicon.

cheers mumzy will try it out!

Ira I dont fully understand where you are coming from as silicon is removed from tanks quite often and if the chemicals were poisen to the fish or leech gases into the water wouldnt there be a lot of dead fish. There are "aquasafe" sealents you can aquire which I have so im guessing the tank uses same or similiar silicon????? and have had fish in there no problem but yea im not too sure???

ira was meaning the difference between the spelling of the word silicone and silicon, 2 different things

one a glue or more correctly a sealant

the other a compound that is a part of the glass composition

he will correct this if necessary :D

I think what Ira was saying was that silicon is an element, the symbol of which is Si and the oxide silica. Silicone is what is sticking the tank dividers in and is a synthetic rubber used for all sorts of stulff including fish tanks and oven door seals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...