Size of tank

radu

Hi

Can someone please let me know if my four foot tank will be adequate for housing two reeves turtles for their lifetime? I just need to know if I will need to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future.

Thanks

Thanks, okay but if I wanted to keep them housed inside for their lifetime, what size tank is recommended? I am aware that the Reeves is smaller than the RES or snake neck turtle when fully grown.

HI

One from Animates in Wellington in October but they apparently waited some 5 years for it to arrive as they were on the "waiting list." The other from Animalz in Wellington as an elderly lady had to give it up as she was going into an old folks home. Both were not cheap a lot more than the RES or snake nexks.

Hi thanks for your replies but could someone please let me know the answer to my first question? What size tank should I have for two fully grown reeves turtles? at the moment they are far from fully grown but just need to know what size I should get in the future for them. Thanks

1. A general guideline is to find the adult size of your turtle and multiply the turtle's adult length by 5. That's how long the aquarium will need to be and will give your little friend plenty of room for doing laps.

2. Take their adult length and multiply by 2.5 and that'll be how deep your water should be. This gives them plenty of room to move about freely and get some exercise, as well as allow you to place a basking area half way up and prevent your turtle from trying to escape. They are great climbers!

You should house your water turtles in a minimum of a 20 gallon long aquarium. This is a minimum recommendation, bigger is better. Your aquarium should have at least enough water to be as deep as the width of your turtle. You can add more water depending how good of a swimmer your turtle is

I've no idea of the 'official' size of tank, but I currently have a 4yr old female Reeves in a tank 1200x450x450. She is incredibly active and loves to do regular laps and loops etc. She has a 1yr old red ear and a small 3yr old long neck in there as well and I wouldn't like to see them in anything smaller. Shes a great one for hitching rides on the snake neck...

I understand the water depth should be a minimum of twice the size of the length of the carapace to prevent injuries when gliding off basking area and to give them plenty of room to swim. I recently had a 'rescue' turtle that was a 20 yr old female red ear in a huge tank...with 3inches of water. Not a pretty sight... :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, I now intend to upgrade when they are both larger to a 5 - 6 foot tank. Maybe, in a year's time. Noticed that my first reeves has definitely had a growth spurt lately. I find it interesting that they really seem to enjoy swimming around alot. Which makes me rather sad and concerned that some turtle keepers don't seem to have enough water in their tanks for their turtles to actually swim around in.