BRINE SHRIMP

andrew

Hi there, Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a bab batch of brine shrimp ?

I recently purchased a bottel off eggs and they are a different colour to the others i have had and they dont seem to be hatching properly. Iam slowley loseing all my fry due to too many egg shells in there diet!

I don't see why you could not get a bad batch. Although I am sure they are usually produced to a high standard, the company has no control over what happens to them once they leave the production line. I would wonder if poor storage may be the culprit. Who knows what happens to them in transit! Did you buy a well known brand? Does it have a use by date on it? Has this expired?

If you buy regularly from the same shop and have not had problems before, I would tell them what has happened and ask them for their views. Ask (politely) what they would be willing to do for you, if anything.

In my experience storage at higher temperature and high humidity (in case of opened containers) quickly reduces the quality of the brine shrimp cysts.

I store all of my (un)opened containers in the fridge and keep only a weeks supply in my 'warm' fishroom.

So, yes you can get a bad batch and as Caryl suggested, probably due to incorrect 'storage'.

The following is quoted from

Brine Shrimp Direct

"Brine shrimp cysts are best stored at low humidity, low temperature conditions to maintain their hatching quality. For long term storage, store at temperatures below 50° F (10° C) but above freezing."

[ This message was edited by: Cees on 2001-05-31 20:03 ]

Hi Andrew,

>Iam slowley loseing all my fry

>due to too many egg shells in there diet!

Sorry if I have misunderstood but are you separating the hatched shrimp from the unhatched and dead shrimps? :???:

Even if you are getting a poor hatch rate you still shouldn't have to be adding "egg shells" to the fry tank.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

As has already been said the storage of the cysts affects the hatch rate.

I use sea water and about a quarter teaspoon of cysts in a litre of sea water. Airate with vigourous but not fine bubbles. After about 24 hrs (depends a bit on temp) I let the container stand for 10 minutes and the empty shells float to the top and the live brine shrimp can be seen in the jar. I siphon off the seawater and brine shrimp leaving the shells on the edge and the unhatched eggs on the bottom. Just stop siphoning before the dregs are being sucked up. I wash the collected shimp in fresh water and feed. Should be only brine shrimp.Sea water can be reused if necessary