UV Filters and Green Spot Algae

kiwiplymouth

My favourite display tank gets a little too much indirect light and consequently is the the only tank I have with green spot algae problems. As I'm sure you are all aware its a pain in the bum to clean especially as this tank is 700mm deep and an acrylic tube design. I'm thinking of getting a UV filter to help kill the spores. Can anyone tell me if a UV filter will help and if so what is a good brand or design. Cheers

I get it too but just scrape it off the front of the tank with a spare eftpos card, I think you may have to eliminate the light that is shining onto your tank as that is what is causing it, my bristlenoses don't seem to eat it maybe oto's or some other type would?

Hi ... I have my tank in a situation where it gets some direct sunlight at certain times of day (can't place it anywhere else) ... got lots of green algae and solved it with the addition of 2 items:

1) a UV steriliser

2) a car window shade (the side window fold out mesh suction cup variety) stuck on to the sunnier side of the tank

Now water is pretty much clear although at end of every 2 weeks just before my 40% water change I get some green spotting (I really have to look for it to find it) which I use a scrubber to remove.

Good luck

but you're better off not getting it in the first place.

Which a UV filter will help with by killing the ich when its in the free-swimming stage before it attaches to the fish.

With a UV you need to get the right balance between fast enough flow to turn over enough water to make it worth while and slow enough flor (and strong enough light) to maximise the waters exposure to the UV light to kill the spores.

I added one when I had a bad lingering whitespot problem and I think it helped. The guy at HFF suggested that I go for a pond one for a pond 10 times bigger than my tank (ie 3000L pond UV steriliser for my 300L tank).