breeding cherry barbs

vindy500

I would make a breeding net (homes small enough the parents cant fit through but not really really small so eggs can still fall through, that takes up half to a quarter of your tank, separate the sexes and stick them in the net along with some plants.. The theory is they will breed and all eggs will fall through the holes in the netting and not be eaten.. Put some anti-fungus stuff in the water and raise them as per all the other egg scatterers.

Of course you can fill up a tank with plants (your small planted tank might do) and leave them in there and remove them after they have bred, but they will likely eat alot of the eggs and its hard to know when they have actually bred so I would think you'll have limited success unless they dont egg their eggs/babies..

On another note lost 3 tiger barbs so far.. lol 2 died one jumped after I isolated it for smashing the remaining ones, so not much luck there!

A simpler way is to just put a whole lot of glass marbles on the bottom of the tank - the eggs fall though but the parents can't eat them (assuming you've got a bare bottomed tank, of course). Cherry barbs are very easy to breed - the key thing is to stop the parents eating all the eggs.

Yeah that way can work have had people say its hard to know when to remove the parents though as you cant see the eggs under the marbles unless you can see under the tank.. Another thing people recommend is not having much water on top of the marbles/netting so the eggs have less distance to fall and less chance of getting eaten as they fall..

Of course you can fill up a tank with plants (your small planted tank might do) and leave them in there and remove them after they have bred, but they will likely eat alot of the eggs and its hard to know when they have actually bred so I would think you'll have limited success unless they dont egg their eggs/babies..

On another note lost 3 tiger barbs so far.. lol 2 died one jumped after I isolated it for smashing the remaining ones, so not much luck there!

this is what i was thinkign, putting the tetras in the big tank and using the small one to breed, not too stressed if half get eaten, heck that could still be 150 fish lol from what ive read.

stink about the barbs, is the one with green stripes still around?

I have a large female cherry that can be free to a good home. Lost her mate 6 mths ago. When I bred them in wellington is was not really to much of a worry if the parents ate some of the eggs cos still tons of little ones hatched.

Just put parents (I used 2 pairs in a 18x9x9 inch tank) together in a tank of java moss for a few days and remove them....done!!

Its even better if you can watch them spawn because you can get them out when its done.

My brother has Honey's for sale if you want too

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to feed them green water along with small (nz or san francisco) brine shrimp nupli and microworm. I prefered to condition the female well untill full of roe then spawn them in a bare tank with a net to keep them from eating the eggs. That way they can't eat the eggs and you can see them. I had a small tank, then a smaller one inside with stainless steel mesh on the bottom instead of glass and straps on the top to support it and give rigidity. When you see eggs you lift the inside tank out and relocate the parents.

You could try infusoria next time. Put a half boiled potato in a jar of aquarium water and let stand for a few days, when the water goes cloudy pour some into your breeding tank and top up with more aq water. Might be an idea to have more than one jar going at a time depending on how much you use.

Yeah I'm a fan of infusoria for fry. I'm also a fan of using a planted tank for breeding because there is usually enough random stuff in amongst the plants and gravel to keep the fry fed.

You can't really grind up flake food small enough for the fry to eat when they are really tiny, but you can supplement with ground flake when they get bigger.

I'm sorry to hear that your cherry barb fry didn't make it. The most success I have had with barb fry is when either:

a) I put several adults in an established planted tank, then remove them a couple of days later.

b) I do a gravel vac of a tank full of barbs and pour the "waste" water into another tank along with the eggs that are already in it.

Using each method I have raised fry to adulthood, and on each occasion there have been hundreds of babies, so you don't need to worry if the adults eat a few eggs!

In my experience I've had the greatest success when the tank containing the spawning adults has been near a bright window (the adults spawn at first light), and when I have included artificial spawning grass along with the real plants in my tanks.

I make my own spawning grass and I've been considering making more for sale. Unfortunaltely I have to sell it rather than give it away because the polyester wool I use to make it is quite expensive. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll make some more and put them on the 'online auction' site.