Breeding Parotocinclus spilosoma

Deleatidium

I am attempting to breed my gold spot otos (Parotocinclus spilosoma) for the first time. I have three individuals and have had them for over a year. I am pretty sure I have 2 females and a male. I hope so anyway.

I'm following Derek Heath's instructions as to how he did it as posted at planetcatfish.com.

I'll keep you posted as to how I do.

I wrote in the planet catfish article:

"Both spawning sites, although not directly in the current, are adjacent to the main current in the tank. I do not know if the presence of this current is a requirement in choosing a spawning site."

I now feel that a good current maybe one of the triggers in breeding. Since my pump packed up on me and was replaced with one that produces a smaller flow rate these fish have showed no further inclination to breed. Mind you the temperature is now a little cooler as well so that may also be the cause. If not already, you may want to consider this and employ a small powerhead or some other means to produce a current. In my case the current ran directly down one corner of the tank and then across the bottom of the tank.

Good luck