Earthquake - and I'm home alone!

Caryl

Wow it's all over the news now especially stuff.co.nz

Gisborne has suffered more extensive damage than initially thought following last night's 6.8 magnitude earthquake.

The East Coast quake was a moment of fear like no other, residents say.

Fallen chimneys, cracked foundations and collapsed roofs were all part of a trail of destruction left in the wake of the big offshore tremor.

Dennis Munro, of Kohitane farm, seven kilometres northeast of Wairoa, said his brick chimney was down, cracks had appeared in most walls, the kitchen ceiling was out and the house was "a real mess".

"We are ... not staying here tonight as [it's] too damaged."

Wife Liz Greenslade said the two-storey wood farmhouse shook violently. "We just stayed where we were with crashing and glass breaking everywhere. There was a terrific roar, clocks swinging, mirrors banging.

"The chimney outside is lying flopped over the patio ... and of course, ironically, the Christmas presents look just fine beside the fireplace."

Manu Caddie, of Kaiti, a suburb of Gisborne, said: "We went for the doors but were afraid the windows were going to smash."

Parents and children huddled together as pantry shelves collapsed and mirrors smashed around them. "There is a thin crack in the ground in our backyard, but everyone here is okay."

Central city resident Tim Lewis, who was in a van at the time, said plate-glass windows exploded and verandahs fell down along the main street.

"People were falling down, right there on the street.

"I thought my van was going to flip. It was like there were people on either side rocking it," he said.

Eddie Collins, 42, of Makaraka, 6km west of Gisborne, said he jumped "about five inches off the ground" when the quake hit.

"Water has sloshed out of the toilet bowls, stuff has fallen out of the cupboards. We've got no power."

Erana Smith was playing housie at a marae near Gisborne. "My sister was talking to our other sister who lives in Gisborne when it struck. She heard a scream and then the line went dead." Family had not been able to contact her since.

Marcus Allan, manager of the waterfront Rocks Restaurant and Bar, estimated at least $10,000 of damage had been caused as bottles of wine and crockery fell to the ground.

Diners "freaked out" as the restaurant shook for 15 to 20 seconds.

Murray McPhail, from Makauri, about 10km from Gisborne, said he could see waves in his swimming pool as the quake shook. "You could just about surf on it."

Jacqeline Maclaurin, 23, was having a drink with a friend at the Wharf bar on the waterfront in Gisborne. "Afterwards everyone went outside by the water and was worried about tsunamis, so people were yelling, `Run for the hills."'

Brent Mitchell was driving in Gisborne and thought the wheels were falling off the car. "Power poles swaying, power went out, things kept shaking for another minute or so.

"I got home and a kitchen full of smashed glasses ... and scared kids."

That was something thatw as there

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more fish related earhtquake note...

Being a born an d bred Wellingtonian I tend not to even notice earthquakes (including the recent one).

The last one I did notice I got in trouble with my wife about... We were sitting in the lounge and the house started shaking a bit, so naturally I got up and made sure that my biggest fish tank was didn't shake off of its stand. I then got an earfull for taking care of the fish before my wife... Who of course was fine and sitting on the sofa. Can't win really! :)

Gavin.... :) :)