Condolences to a Great Man

Wok

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, what truly sad news to wake up to. Alan was an amazing guy who I developed a true respect for from the help and advice he gave to myself and others, and when I finally met him at the Napier Conference his energy and attitude completely blew me away. To think that such a lively guy is now gone and I never got to even say goodbye.... :cry: I hope that there's killies in the next world for you to keep and breed, mate. I'm glad we were able to share a rack of beers before you left.

RIP Alan, and condolences to his family. He was a truly great man that will be sorely missed in life and in this hobby.

If there is a heaven I can hear you now giving the orders to anyone that will listen and even if they didn't you would make them as that is the kind of guy you are a real true kiwi who stands up for what he belive's in and that was something that a lot of people loved about you and a few didn't but you didn't care what anyone said as long as you had your family and your fish, the fish show is not going to be the same without you Alan to keep us all on our toes, I will miss you and I can tell you now you are in the hall of fame with all the other great fish breeders!!

Farewell Alan.

I was very saddened to hear of Alan's passing last night when I arrived home from a work trip to Australia. Alan has been an icon in the NZKA for many years and always stood up for any issue he felt strongly for at FNZAS meetings. His strong convictions and unwavering sheer stubbornness have shaped and improved both the NZKA and FNZAS over the years. We've had some pretty heated arguments possibly through being similar in some ways but he's always been a good mate. We've also had some great times and laughed so hard it hurt. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. My condolences to Rose, family and friends. Rest now in peace.

Well it was a great Funeral, and was great to meet up with everyone again and hear about Alans awesome (and hilarious!) life.

Cya Al :(

i wish i could have been there.... i only found out at lunch time today :cry: i bet he had a good send off as he did make alot of people laugh.... let us all think of the good times and also keep killies strong in nz for alan.

The NZKA killifish stand is going to be dedecated to Alan and his ture passion he had for his killifish at next weekends National fishshow.

I wish i could of made it to say goodbye but can promise that i will do my best at making the national fishshow just how you would have liked it. Making sure we do have the right colour certs and follow up on those minitures

Not going to be the same without you my friend

Dave :(

Oh my!

I am so sad to hear this...

I am only new to the board but I have seen lots of posts from Alan here. I only knew him from pixels on a screen but even I could see that he was passionate about fish keeping and ready to help anyone.

My deepest condolences to Rose.

This such a terrible disease that takes so many of our loved ones far to soon. I lost my sister in law last year this way also.

We can only celebrate the life of our loved ones and remeber the good times with them. They live on through us

And from what I can see here I know that Alan is still going strong...

All the best

Karlos

I think those who knew him, knew how much of a champion he was, very sad to find out he’s gone, but id like to think a lot of his wisdom stays in this place, fish based or not. He knew how to have a laugh, great guy all round, had the privilege of staying with him a few nights, amazing generous man, will miss him incredibly, will miss reading his posts.

At the end of the day, livings the hard part, but I know he brought joy and passion into a lot of people’s lives, and ill thank him for that, forever.

Cheers Alan, See you soon mate.

Shae

I am regretful of my late responce but it was unavoidable; as was the passing of a true friend I have known for many years.

In my mind Alan will always be revered as "THE FATHER of KILLIES"" in New Zealand.

A stalwart to the hobby and the NZKA as well who have lost their greatest asset.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Rose at this sad time for us all and hope that there are brighter days coming as the grey clouds up to the horizon lift.

• 1 month later...

Im keeping in touch with Rose and was speaking with her yesterday. She was in good spirits. I will be heading over Friday week to clean out more of Alans tanks and told her that I will also show her how to log on to the site. i think it was a matter of her not having passwords etc etc.

Tim

Hi

Phill Collis writes this with very sad feelings..Never had a clue till just found posts..

Been trying to work out just how many years ago Alan came to visit us.

{ My Self & Paddy My wife of 38 years.}

We think firstly about 30 years ago when we were Burbank Aquatic Supplies..

Alan popped up ever now and then and did so at out new house after we sold our goldfish farm.That must have been about the time there was a show at in auckland.Cant think of when but feel early this year.

We had a good old talk about old times and i'll miss that..

All my best to Rose

Cheers Phill

• 10 months later...

It is with great sadness I read this thread.

Alan although I never met him in person we spoke by phone a few times was (& in my mind still is) one of the truely great fathers to the hobby.

He was so positive always helpful and will be very sadly missed.. I had been intending to touch base with him again just for a catchup and regret I'll no longer be able to do so and that it took so long for me to learn of this.

My deepest condolences to Rose and family Alan will live on in our hearts & memories for many years to come.