Latest rummies

sharn

Just wondering if anyone has seen these latest rummies (from one particular importer only as far as i know)...

Got some today at work, ordered as rummys and they definatly look like it- same shape and the stripy tail. Only thing is they have no red noses and their bodies are varying degrees of pink- almost like their nose colour has leaked into the rest of their bodies but its not uniform, certain patches are darker than others. They are currently out the back because if they are dyed im not selling them but thought perhaps they were something like the 'false rummies'? Surely if they were proper rummies and they were dyed they would still have their red nose?

Have asked the supplier about them and have been told theyre just coming in like that from singapore.

Any guesses from anyone thats seen them?

Stop getting GE paranoid.

A lot of fish when bred commercially loose their colouration compared from in the wild.

Others, like the discus, have it promoted.

There are three types of rummy noses, you prolly have one of the other not so common ones Sharn.

Im not so sure, ive never seen or heard of any rummies that have pink bodies. They will have to stay out the back until i know whats up with them.

If anyone sees them and knows what they are/whats up with them can they please let me know.

The importer said 'theyre all coming like that from singapore lately' but really, when someone buys a rummy they want a rummy- not some red noseless pink thing :lol:

Might give them a bell monday if noone has any confirmation of what they could be.

Red fades to pink in stressed rummynoses (when they are introduced into a new tank).

"This is a distinctive looking little tetra with black and white "checkerboard" markings on its tail and a bright red nose, for which it is named. The red nose is actually the best indication of the fish's health and well-being--when it is feeling ill at ease or not in tiptop shape (for example, when first introduced to the tank), this red will fade to a dull pink, barely distinguishable from its unremarkable gray body color. "

After several hours in the tank they were still the same though and as i floated them in the tank i could see the pink on their bodies. Usually when the rummies come in their noses are faintly obvious but these ones noses have no trace of red at all and havent developed it :-? Their whole body is pink also to varying degrees- some areas are brighter than others.

I get a big tired of seeing some of the stuff that comes out of Singapore, and other asian exporters, not all is bad but alot is. It's a shame the suppliers don't go with more european imports, I know it's more expensive but I sure as hell don't mind paying extra pingas on fish to cover costs if they are of great quality.

Thanks for bringing it to peoples attention sharn over the rummynose, nothing worse than someone wanting to order in some rummynoses to find they aren't exactly what they had in mind.

Over the course of the weekend they developed slightly red noses- some look almost normal now however some are still very pink.

I spoke to a friend of mine in the UK who is a walking book and he pinpointed the species (only showed me a pic) straight away. I will send him a picture to see if he can shed any light on the pinkness and will chuck one on here too to get opinions.

Spoke again to the supplier and he assures us they are not dyed and are just a pink strain *shrugs*. I think ill wait for my second opinion :lol:

Definatly not. It seems to outline most of their organs (well that big group of them) along with random patches here and there. Some have hardly any pink now and you can see them in the photos along side their pink friends

The ones that were a fainter pink when they came in appear more silver now- almost normal. There are still several that are still extremely bright though and havent changed in the last few days.

Have heard back from Scott and his opinion is they are hormone fed to make them look 'better' and soon they will loose the pink and most of their red nose so thats a good thing they arent dyed.

Might leave em out the back for a month or so to see if it wears off.