Discus with Fry and More Eggs

raven

I'm just after some advise from those who are in the know, as i haven't read about this anywhere else.

Is there anything i should/could/can do to make life easier for the parents? They have been spawning for 4 of the last 6 weeks and currently have 11 babies at nearly 2 weeks old. Then tonight i get home and find mum sitting over another 2-300 eggs?

up untill about 4 days ago they shared the tank with 50 albino kirb babies and 7 other discus. Now the have the 250l planted tank to themselves and 2BN and 11 babies.

Thanks in advance. :hail:

Hmm that's pretty weird. The only thing I can think of is that when they have a big batch of babies they should dedicate themselves to that bunch. E.g my alphamale pair (avatar) recently had about 30 fry eating off their sides but they decided it wasn't enough, ate them, then laid again.

Are yours feeding off the sides of the parents? A 29gal breeding tank where they have no distrations is the best. The best idea is to cover the sides with white paper e.g computer paper. This helps the wrigglers find the parents easier when they go free-swimming.

Are yours feeding off the sides of the parents?

Yes the have for about a week now. Thats why i thought it was strange that they laid again while still having fry. Mum is very protective of the eggs and fry.