I want to start a locust culture ??

snookie

Guest Anonymous

Snookie, how are ya going mate? Next time your down in Auckland, or next time Im up there, I'll show you a good setup.

Broms2 is right, Biosupplies is the place to get them.

• 2 weeks later...

what do locusts look like when they are mating, mine are either "gettin it on " or wrestling each other to death!

one is on the back of the other and not letting go, the bottom ones lower body is bent up towards the one on top.

locusts for me over crickets.The main reason being the growth rate.Crickets were slow and always some would escape and hide among the furnishings,apparently they can come out at night and nibble on the dragons?but never saw this happen.crickets used to eat better food in the form of flake etc but the locusts eat huge volumes of green stuff which they convert to protein,the dragons lap them up and grow like hell,I just give them a coating of calcium powder and/or supplment.They all get eaten fast unlike the crickets.Once you get your system sussed its all go,I just remove the eggs every sunday,give fresh grass as required and have babies hatching every week.The dragons can eat newly hatched locusts straightaway which was good too.

Guest Anonymous

Plus if they breed too fast, and they run out of room in their holding enclosure, the bloody crickets start eating eachother.

true yea sounds good to me although when i was feeding out crix i used to just chuck em in a plastic bag with the calcium and or vitamin & mineral powder and shake em up then feed.

same can be done with locusts and mealworms. Mealworms will eat it if left in it for a lil while just not too long like you say or they will die!

Me been impatient normally i just dust em or shake em in a bag and feed em out, in doing that with crix it makes em white which means they stand out more/are less camo so easier for the predator to spot I found!

make sure you don`t let them go short of water in the form of a piece of sponge etc so they can`t drown.For my breeders I used a small lidded jar with a wick which was good that they could climb up.The little ones were a pain in that it was so warm that they need the water dried out quick,one miss and heaos would die.After a month or so all you would end up with was one snack feed.Hope you have better luck.Some people seem to do it better than others.