NEW WAVE MAKER

reef

Here is a new type of wavemaker. it moves the top of the water.

From the pictures, it appears as though that is about all that it is doing. Do you know if it has much impact on the tank as a whole? It would be nice to have a movie of the machine in action.

If it is only creating chaos in the top water column, I don't see how that would be of much benefit. If anything, it could have an overall negative effect since the turbulence of the water greatly decreases the penetration of the lights.

Hmmm... Puzzling product.

Actually it increases the light by producing glitter lines.

eric bournmane talks about it in one of his books.

I have a movie, just have to upload it sometime

I don't know first hand, but a mate of mine has taken Lux measurements with and without the surface water being turbulent. If I recall correct, the readings were definitely lower with surface water movement. I do believe that it may look better though with the glitter lines.

You have a light meter reef. What have you experienced with your measurements?

video

http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/images/Xenus.wmv

Features and Benefits:

* Increased and more defined light reflection into the tank

* Universal mounting bracket to fit every aquarium

* Wave size can be controlled via an electronic dial control

* Creates excellent oxygenation

* Choose from waves that are:

- Fast or Slow

- High or Low

- More or Less Widths

I cant take it under the water to test.

As mentioned in the Features and Benefits, it Increases and more defined light reflection into the tank

Sure you can take it under water to test it. You have some plastic bags, right? Put lux meter in bag, tie bag, put in water.

I heard back from my mate today. He said that with the lux meter, surface water turbulence reduced the readings by 20%.

He also sited Jay F. Hemdel from Advanced Marine Tech, "For every focused glitter line, there is an area ten times its size of reduced lighting travelling as a wave parallel to it."

This next part was on a continued text, so I'm not sure if it is part of the previous quote. Anyway, here is what he said, "There is some advantage in light being angled in sideways which hits some areas. Overall though, a 30 percent loss."

• 3 weeks later...

The glitter lines are not stationary, so although there is light reduction behind and infront of each one, the magnification of the initial light along the glitter lines is, in fact, spread throughout the whole tank, thus increasing the overall intensity by up to 20%.

this looks like a useless toy.....

classic of this type of new age must have reefing marketing, here we are arguing over a few % of light... why not just by better reflectors duh

streams on the other hand do something and i consider them one of the major new things to come along recently......

that and really good reflectors, and recently very good cost effective skimmers....

We won’t really know if it is useless until it has been seen in action as it might have a nice effect on a tank by giving it a more natural look and might work well with streams. glitter lines is not its only feature.

Best to wait until reviews are out before any judgments can be made.

Very good points raised by nemies as the glitter lines are not stationary as i was wondering if it would reduce light. however as it is not stationary then it might produce more light which is a minor benefit for many as i feel we are sometimes over powering out tanks with light. especially my experiance has been that since reducing light over my tank i have not noticed loss in quality in my corals since reducing some lightig from 400w to 250w.

Couldnt the same/similar glitter lines be produced by aiming a stream upwards at angle to the surface of a tank. Or as a I find at the surface of a corner in the tank ( makes great surface waves and water turnover/airation :D )

spelling??