hunched back guppies...?

1familiarfish

Hi folks, We recently purchased some guppies off trademe - five large pregnant guppies.

One died, the others seem fine. The last of them gave birth today, but is left with a very bad tail droop/hunch back. She is the biggest of them, a lovely coppery colour with black from her waist (such as it is) to her back fin... Is this something we can fix, or is it going to be the end of her? :cry: ... Ive looked on google and it mentions inbreeding as one thing that may cause this, or a permanent droop but continuing sustained health after giving birth... Any of your experiences and advice gratefully accepted,

Best wishes

Shortee

:hail:

For your replies, Im truly grateful for your advice and imput, this fish breeding thing gets trickier by the minute!

So, we have this girl with the bent tail - will she live happily ever after and continue to breed bent tailed fry or normal ones... or will she pass to the big fish bowl in the sky?

Cheers :D

Shortee

We lost the big girl today :( , so I guess having babies was rougher for her than the others... and I think she may have been older than first thought too, she was by far the larger of the seven preggie girls we got.

Still, we are learning lots, and have a tank of little guppy fry to watch. Got some java moss today for them to hide in and I have to say WE LOVE ORGANISM!!! :hail::hail::hail: We got some wee algae eaters too who never sit still! Theyre awesome... so busy! Thanks all :)

Shortee

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks Keri Anne - I will, because Im hoping that we can breed (just for ourselves, not to sell or anything) as true as possible.

I wondered about it being a weakness, it looked really wrong... and I felt like she might have been suffering. I got her when she was heavily pregnant, so I dont know what she looked like beforehand. No others seem to have that problem, but if they come from the same place, they might have the same genetic tendency in their fry could they?

Thanks for your help,

Take care

Shortee

You'll soon find out if they're not a good lot for breeding

I got a really nice male a while with the intent of breeding him, speant 3 mths growing up a nice virgin female for him from a good quality group of mixed guppies that I use for out crossing.

Had to cull 40-something fry out of 60 or so in the first month due to bent or twisted spines. My guess is that the line was too inbread. He and all his surviving sons now live in a disply tank with no females and will never be used for breeding. The females I gave away to somebody who was warned of their history and had no intent of breeding them.

I would have thought some of the "Live Bearer Breeders" would have been a bit more forthcoming with replies, but Maybe not. :roll:

Spinal Strain is one thing and a Large female, given a rest MAY become straight again, until the next brood. :cry:

Bent spine deformities are more of a problem and are generally caused by far too much inbreeding (to keep a line true) and the offspring should be culled straight away; as the deformity is visible at about 3 weeks to a month.

I just feed such unfortunates to my Angel's or Panch'ies.

I also find that swapping the female / and or male after a couple of broods keeps the deformity level to a real good low.

Good luck.