I was bad, bought some frogs, now what?

Ira

They're whistling tree frog tadpoles, got them from animates. What should I do with them? Right now they're in a little 5 gallon plastic container with some gravel and a small heater and filter for circulation. I've got it set around 24°. I assume I can just treat them like fish for now? The woman at animates said they'll eat flake, how about frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp?

Once they're frogs I'll have to rearrange everything and what do I feed them then?

Wifey's mad at me now for insisting that they're better off with a little circulation and the temperature kept the same as they were at the store. She thinks they're best off just being thrown in the tank without heat or circulation and she's made me put them in a room that I'll almost never see them.:(

This interesting bit of information is from the fascinating site mentioned above...

While in some cases, complicated courting behavior occurs before mating, many species of frogs are known for attempting to mate with anything that moves which isn't small enough to eat!

Reminded me of someone... :D

As of right now all but one of them are dead and the surviving tadpole, the smallest, isn't looking very active at all. Temperature's dropped to 20° and I doubt there'd have been time for enough ammonia to build up just overnight to cause a problem.

Sorry to hear that Ira. Can't think what the problem might be as I have never had anything to do with tadpoles (except look after the kindy ones during the holidays. Put them in the goldfish tank, figured the'd be all right since they were quite large with back legs already. Next morning, no tadpoles. smiley fish). Have you asked at Animates?

Tadpoles are dodgy Ira.

I once had some in a plastic container (5litres?), read somewhere they eat meat, fed them chicken offal and generally looked after them well (i thought) and they all died really quickly 24-48hrs?

When I was at primary school one of my friends had some in a stinky old unfiltered tank (~3'1'1'?) in the classroom, apparently paint and all was put in there... and they all survived or at least lived for ages.

Then another time i had some in a ~5l plastic bowl again, ignored them for ages, dont ever remember changing the water, went out to the garage one day and found frogs and tadpoles with legs!

So there you have it,

Tadpoles - treat em mean, keep em alive!