underwater lighting?

JackJackJack

Hi JJJ

Havn't tried it but would probably produce a cool effect...

Don't know if it's true or not, but I read somewhere that fish use the light to swim "up the right way" so if it is wouldn't the fish then start swimming upside down... :lol:

Be an interesting experiment to say the least..

You can buy special underwater lights from the petshops. They come in different colours (yellow, red, green, etc) and it looks really cool if you have them in a cave or something similar.

I have one in my tank and it looks really nice under the log.

Chris-

Fish have colour vision, hence their bright markings. So red light will bother them no less than any other frequency of light.

And don't quote me on this but I would assume fish to be geotropic (gravity dependant) rather than phototropic, as they maintain orientation with the aquarium lights switched off. More likely it's to do with the location of their swim bladder above their centre of gravity though.

I doubt the fish would swim upside down if the light was under them, but they DO orient themselves to the light at least partially. I had a tank that would just get light from the side early in the morning(No tank lights yet) and when I was leaving for work I'd look in there and see them all oriented vertically with their noses or tails pointing almost straight up.

Ira said...

>... they DO orient themselves to the light at least partially.

Laterally compressed fish, such as Angels and Discus will often

lean to one side if there is a strong light source from one direction.

For millions of years, light has always been 'up' as far as fish

are concerned...

Andrew.

My swordtails and Kribs orient themselves towards the light in the morning as well (b4 tank lights come on). Maybe its just easy to notice in larger slower moving fish, then again zebra danios would look like utter nutters :o if they reponded to the light more strongly than gravity.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the topic.....I was "doing the rounds" (like evreyone does) yesterday, and saw an Underwater Light unit at Animates Christchurch (Moorhouse Ave store) the price was $50 (well ok $49.95 to be precise) :lol:

The box showed it as being suitable for Aquariums as well as Outdoor Ponds. Not sure of the size of the actual light unit but the box itself was approx 10 x 10 inches. So to do this kind of thing ( That I imagine would look really nice if set up properly) I would imagine that you would need a rather large tank.....

Cmack