companion fish for clown loaches

JackJackJack

Hi i have a 45 gallon (~170L) tank, i plan on keeping clown loaches, and am looking for another type of fish to share the tank with it. what type of fish would you reccomend? i want a schooling fish. maybe silver sharks?

also how many of them would you put in with 4 loaches considering how large the clown loaches grow?

any other tips for keeping the clowns?

i heard you should put the other type of fish in first and only put the clowns in once the tank is established?

thanks alot

jack

thanks.

i was origionally thinking of adding a school of congo tetra in with them but the guy at the pet shop down the road said the clowns would give them grief, but i've since talked to a guy at a very reputable aquarium shop and he said they should be fine, and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

sorry i didnt introduce myself, im from over in western australia, but this is the best online fish forum ive seen, so thought id invade your countries forum! im pretty new to keeping aquariums and only have one other aquarium, a planted 20g with a school of cardinal tetra and a few tiger barbs.

also would it be worth setting up a brine shrimp hatchery to feed my tetra and eventually my clown loach and whatever else i choose to put in with it or just buy frozen foods?

It's probably not worth the hassle of hatching out brine shrimp for your tetras, unless you're intending to breed them. They'll do fine with a good quality staple flake food, and spirulina flake and frozen worms give them variety if you want.

Hi there and welcome to the fishroom. We don't mind being invaded, we have a number of foreigners in here, including other Aussies :D .

I would not have thought clowns would give the congos any grief and they are both lovely fish. I also agree with the other two's suggestions re tank mates and brine shrimp.

welcome JackJackJack. I have six clown loaches in my discus tank and I also have a variety of tetras:- neon, black-line, silver-tip & rummy nose. The rummy nose tetras are my favourites and they all get on well. It is a peaceful tank. I also have four bristle-nosed catfish in there as well. It would be 167 litre tank.

The clown loaches would be a couple of years old now and are a reasonable size and great to watch - absolutely a schooling fish. I have to drop in snails from the angel tank for they are great snail munchers.

that sounds like a community tank i'd like; clown loaches, discus and tetra. i like the elegant look of the discus aswell as their colours. i might look into that. im moving into a new house in 2 weeks so i wont be setting it up until then so i will have plenty of time to research!

+ you will need your tank setup for atleadt 4 weeks before you get the discus so you get the bacteria and things you need. Also, be ready for regular water changes (atleast twice a week).

Goldie - how big are ur clown loaches now? I too love the Clown Loaches. mine are a couple of years old now (about 3 - 4").

Oh they are ........................HEY keep still guys....................around 4 - 4.5 inches (10 - 11 cm) and growing. Hard to believe they were only 3 -4 cm long when I bought them.

Yes the tank is great, today I am enjoying watching all the activity and interaction of the fish. It was blood worm feast today and the discus were feeding from my fingers. I have been doing weekly water changes, however Christ you are so right and I promise to do better for the two latest discus are still growing.