Most interesting fish this year

Sirkus

hey all, just thought i might do some research into the fish you get in. so i put to you all;

What is the most interesting fish youve seen this year (please let me know if its a new import too)?

im curious to know what sort of fish i can look forward too as ive heard you have a fair few more restrictions on imports than here.

Fwah! im impressed, i was getting a little worried people weren't interested in the thread but wow, i like the fish alot!

ive got a gold nugget in my 130l however shes just little atm and i paid about £8 (about $27or so i think) for it, $190 woah, thats worrying, i hope it was full size? and was it a queen or a normal?

Those Medusa are gorgeous, theyr the only ladies i like 'bristles' on.

i think gold WCMM are just gorgeous, not keen on goldfish but thats cos ive had them for so long and there are so many other fish to choose, the fun part is finding them first. Is it me or are your fancies out in the pond??? :o

ive got a plenty of favourites this year, my snakehead for one, im still trying to get a decent pic of her, my ropefish which i love to bits (both of them)

060711%20-%20021.jpg060729%20-%20ropefish%2C%20acaras%2C%20mouthbrooders%20011.jpg060729%20-%20ropefish%2C%20acaras%2C%20mouthbrooders%20019.jpg060805%20-%20Brians%20fish%20house%20-%20126.jpg060805%20-%20Brians%20fish%20house%20-%20148.jpg060926%20-%20The%20fish%20-%20002.jpg

did someone say surinamensis? Geo?

my favourite fish which i dont own but would love is the blue limia (Limia melanogaster)

limia_melanogaster1.jpgLimia_melanogaster.jpg

:o:o:o You have some medusa plecos :o:o:o Awesome fish!!! There aren't any proper snowball plecos for sale at Jansens at the moment are there? :D

My favourite fish, probably the albino livebearers this year, albino guppies :P

all fancy plecos are extremely expensive, the cheapest 'fancy' would be the royal at around $100 (roughly 35 pound) and theyre normally 10cm max. there are various cheaper ancistrus around which start from the 45 mark upwards.

we cant get alot of fish here, on the fnzas home page theres a link to the allowed imports and its not many. fish keeping in nz is probably alot dearer than in the uk sadly.

is your snakehead one of those massive growing ones (3 foot +) i see alot of them on the net where unsupecting buyers buy the cute little things and they grow into real nasty big fish (which i happen to like lol)

Youll be pleased to know that its an Assam blue which only grow to 20cm or so as far as i remember, its nothing like those northern snakeheads playing plague to parts of USA. heres a pic of one below, as soon as i get a decent one i'll post it on here.

cSpecAssamFromBhutan06.jpg

im really impressed with the fancy goldfish thing hehe, the wierd thing is, is that i dont even like fancy goldfish that much. this is simply because ive never thought that they would ever survive in the wild but i suppose your pond is on the way there. what temp is it at (min and max too please)? My dad is going to make a huge pond in the garden when we get over there (but if he rents a JCB, il be digging the pond hehe) and i have a feeling something like fancies wil end up in it, providing its warm enough.

im really impressed with the fancy goldfish thing hehe, the weird thing is, is that i dont even like fancy goldfish that much. this is simply because ive never thought that they would ever survive in the wild but i suppose your pond is on the way there. what temp is it at (min and max too please)?

thanks :D, temperature at the moment is around 20 [breeding season] in the middle of summer it can get up to 26 max winter low as 10 [Celsius]

the trick is having a big pond which holds the heat better though the nights and diet is extremely important and they should be feed according to temperature and breed.

my mates and i dug this one out took 2 weeks and it's around 8000 Litres. all up cost $1121 exactly [:D i was quit proud of my self to do it on budget] that includes pond lining, pump, filter, UV-C light, pipes and clips, sand and river stone.

photo taken a little while ago it has a lot more plants now.

POND.jpg

range from 70cm to 40cm and there is an step at the back thats only 20cm deep for the marginals.

it has mainly fancy gold fish in there u name it i've got it :D , also a school of Inanga [nost sure which type] and about 4 large frogs.

lets get back on track with the topic for Sirkus :D

Fishboi, i think you should start a thread on your pond and how you did it if you havent already? id be interested to know more about it. we sell galaxiids in the shop i work at, had no idea they live in nz. they may be moved into the coldwater tanks when we get them in next. i think thats guna be something im really looking forward to getting in the pond when we get over to nz and dig a huge pond, most likely with that jcb!!! hehe. anyone seen any good killiefish imported, or is it usually by eggs that people get them?

Fishboi, i think you should start a thread on your pond and how you did it if you havent already?

no i haven't started a thread on it but maybe i will, i always like to post with pics so mite hold of till middle of summer when the plants look better :D

we sell galaxiids in the shop i work at, had no idea they live in nz.

we have around 10 different species that is NZ native, u can catch them by the hundred in the streams but ur not suppose to :)

i dont think there's killies been imported for quit some time now. but there is certainly a lot of different ones available only though breeders though. there is a few members here really dedicated to killies

Edit

link on NZ native fish

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/001 ... e-Fish.asp

hmmmmmm, i think when i come over i may have to find out about how to import some killifish eggs, just need to find out the relevant info, but theres plenty of time for that. i should be making my way over to nz in june-ish 2008. post pics of the pond please.