New Bronze corys with fin rot?

Knight

OK, we just bought 2 bronze corys, i watched them in the tank and they all seemed healthy and happy, got them home and started conditioning them to the tank (adding water from our tank to their bag), I've now just noticed that they both have white, kinda fluffy spots on their tail, does this sound like fin rot? Is fin rot contagious? We wanted to put them into our 10G tank with our male Betta, but if it's contagious, no way!

We just set up 2 10ishG tanks on monday and added "Cycle" today, would they be able to cope with a new setup? And if they can would it be safe to add them to one of the newly set up tanks today? I don't want to take them back coz i'v already created a bond with them! They're so cute!

• 4 weeks later...

Fungus is like cottonwool balls on fins and stuff....usually because of poor water quality....

Corys need to be kept in groups of 4 or more to keep them happy btw....

Treat them before adding to new tank....don`t know your meds...interpet do one...No8...

Your tank should`ve been cycling for longer than a few days...No fish should be added for quite a while...unless the tank was cloned from another one.....you need water testing kits too....

We all learn from our mistakes and i`ve made plenty...You need to look up or read about fishkeeping before setting up a tank really.....

i wouldnt add them to your new tank unless you want to risk your existing fish getting exposed to nasties- even if they dont look sick quarentine is still reccomended.

IMO cycle doesnt do much and i dont think your new tank would be ready to put those cories in. because of the effects a cycle has on fish, even if they are lessened by w/c's (which draws the process out significantly as you are taking the bad stuff the good stuff feed on out) the cories wont be able to handle it as well as a healthy fish because their immune system is weakend by what they have.

if you can half fill the new tank with water from your other tank plus take a good amount of substrate and some filter media and put it into the new tank it should pretty much (sometimes not quite though) eliminate your need for a cycle (thats how i set up my quarentine tank as i cant have it running all the time).

im not too up on fin rot myself so wouldnt know what to look for but fish can develop fungus on their fins when they have been nipped at or damaged? normally fin rot effects are around the edges i think, so if they are spots in the middle perhaps its something else.

good luck with your little dudes, cories are neat fish :)