Female Betta possibly blowing a bubble nest?

Knight

Hi all, we just noticed that one of our 3 female Bettas looks like she's blowing a bubble nest, we were concerned that they were male for a while (because they kept flaring their gills at each other), but I have since seen their ovipositors (it's kinda hard to see but i'm sure i've seen it), so they have to be fmales! So my question is do females blow bubble nests? Athena (the Betta in question) seems to be spending a lot of time around where the bubbles are and keeps blowing bubbles into it.

Yeah somethings up with a lot of our fish>>>> :oops: Our male Guppy seems to realy like our male Platy! To the point of... well.... you know! :lol:

But any way, has any one had this? Could a female build a bubblenest? They were in a tank with a male Betta, with a divider, but we have just moved them into a 15G tank just for them.

Hmmmm, that would mean it'd have to be another boy.... that would mean we'd need another tank! :lol: :bounce:

Athena's really working on this nest, it's getting quite big, she also seems to be defending it....... and chasing after Aphrodite a lot..... now I'm starting to wonder if she is a he!

Ok i've got a photo that i can post of her.... but i'm (Aimee) not computer literate, I know where the photo is and i've resized it, but how do i post it? :oops:

I just googled crowntail Bettas, They all seem to have longer fins than athena, but I'd say athena is kinda young, they're all about 3cm in body length. When we bought these 3, they were advertised as females, this was a couple of weeks ago,the lady said to watch for signs (flaring up at each other) to see if they are males. They all seem to do it though, but they were all in the same tank when we bought them, so figured they couldn't be males.....but now athena's building a buuble nest.... I wish they came with tags when they were born to tell you if they were male or female! :x

Well i think we have all come to the conclusion that Athena is an Ares :wink:

I don't think there is any doubt about Zeus :lol:

I am personally very jealous about Aphrodite. She is Beautiful!!! AND i saw a wee male at one of the LFS yesterday that looks just like her! i desperately wanna get him but i have got 2 boys already and really don't wanna have to find space for another boy. *sigh* oh well i will just continue to drool at the piccy of Aphrodite..... :P

And i am pretty darn sure Hera is a little lady too.

Congratulations on such a lovely little betta family and here is hoping you hear the flutter of little fins soon!

Well, on those conclusions we have renamed Athena to Ares, put a tank divider into the 15G and are keeping "Ares" on one side and the now 2 girls on the other....... we also bought 2 tanks off trademe about an hour ago, I think they're both about 10G.... we will have 5 tanks!!!!! :oops: We just gotta figure out where we're gona put the new ones now..... hopefully we wont blow a fuse!

OK so here's a Q on stocking.... We have a 22G, 15G, and soon to be 3 10G, we have 2 male Bettas, 2 Female Bettas, 5 Platys, 1 Guppy (gona buy more when we're sure we have no more white spot...hopefully), 4 black Neons, 8 Neons and 2 BN's.

How do you guys think we should set them up? We want to keep the Neons seperate from the Bettas, because they started to nip Zeus's fins, Faffy (the larger BN) will stay in the 22G and Brustle (the smaller BN) will go into the 15G. And what is the smallest algae eater that we can get to keep the 10G's clen.... 1 of the 10G we are thinking of using to breed the Bettas in :D . We don't want to over stock any of the tanks and want to get the stocking levels right and put every one in a tank with good companions!