I've had another one of 'those' thoughts

jude

Has anyone tried heating a cupboard containing a sump? I was thinking that it might be possible to fasten a heated towel rail to the underside of the top of the cabinet, providing heat for the sump water and undergravel heating for the tank.

Any reasons why this wouldn't work? Maybe because they are designed to be vertical, they wouldn't operate well (or safely) in a horizontal position.

Does anyone know whether this would be an economical or expensive way of providing heating?

Does anyone know why I always have these thoughts in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep ................ and does anyone know how to turn them off?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Jude

You would have to be able to control the temp as well which would mean a thermostat and temp probe.

Towel rails are only 58w watts (just looked at the sticker on mine), but you would be heating the whole cubboard as well as the tank instead of just the tank so it will cost you more in power. Remember it takes X amount of energy to heat the tank it doesn't matter if you use a 100w heater or a 1000w heater it still takes the same energy to heat the same thing, by increasing what you are heating (by adding the room as well) you will increase the amount of energy you use.

Thanks for the idea Slappers. I thought of the cupboard heaters before I thought of the towel rails but I wondered about condensation issues and a towel rail is designed to be used in wet areas.

And thanks Suphew - I wondered about that too but I've heard so many people say that if you have a lot of tanks its cheaper to heat the room than heat each tank. I thought the same principle might apply here. If I had to add a thermostat and temperature probe it would be even more cost so its probably not an option. Damn, seemed like such a brilliant idea at 3am :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Jude

Or stuff you use to insulate the Hot water cylinder, in that way you minimise the loss of heat in the tank, saving you power. You can also use solar power to light up the Cupboard, you can buy a complete unit in Mitre 10 for $100+ which is enough to light up a cupboard.