Caribsea Eco-Complete

KiwiGal77

Hi all,

I am thinking of swapping out my current sand substrate for Caribsea Eco-Complete to help out my plants. Even with root tabs and liquid fertiliser they just aren't developing well in the sand and their root systems seem weak and shunted, apparently this can happen as some find sand too compact as well as the obvious lack of nutrients?

It's quite expensive at $60 for 10kg, and I have 150L tank to fill so guessing I would need 2-3 bags. But I also think in the long term Eco-Complete will work out cheaper without having to use root tabs. Or I wonder about maybe doing the top inch layer with cheaper normal gravel to keep costs down?

So has anybody used this before, and what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks! :D 

It really depends on the plant-- what kind of plant do you have that seems to be struggling? What's your lighting like? 
I've never found an issue with growing plants in fine sand, though if you want to try it out, definitely top it off with something soft for the corys as they do like to snuffle round with their barbels :3 

It really depends on the plant-- what kind of plant do you have that seems to be struggling? What's your lighting like? 
I've never found an issue with growing plants in fine sand, though if you want to try it out, definitely top it off with something soft for the corys as they do like to snuffle round with their barbels :3 

Plants are mainly a variety of stem plants at the moment, dwarf sag, a few little crypts and will also be\ getting a sword.

Lighting is 2 x 30watt bulbs, but they must be nearly a year old so possibly about due to be replaced? 
Currently using JBL 7+13 balls in the substrate and dosing with Flourish Comprehensive weekly after the water change.

I've watched a couple of videos of cory on the JBL Manado and they seem to really enjoying snuffling around in that, it's light enough that they can get deep and move it around without risking damage. So I'm now considering either just the Manado and using root tabs, or trying the Eco-Complete with a top layer of Manado. I like the reddy brown colour, which is another reason I want to change my beige sand out for something else.

I've read lots of really good reviews of the Eco-Complete, and it sounds like the nutrients last a good year (then of course there's some people who say it didn't help at all). Which means in the long run I would save on not having to use root tabs for a while.