Silly Cory Fry Question

Zimbaliza

Hi,

My Cory knock shop is running well, the little guys are getting plenty of action, the girls, keep on putting out,  question, is can I have multi-able batches of fry/eggs in the same tank?? will the older ones, start to eat the younger fry/eggs etc?? (fry tank is 90 litre, about 3/4 fill)

Current batch I saved, is about 2 weeks old, are pretty happy swimming around (20-30 of the little guys)... second lot are just eggs at the moment,

I've ordered a  ZET-E55 Ziss Fish Egg & Shrimp Tumbler Incubator should hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks... looks pretty cool... should help in the future...

-Chris

Edited by Zimbaliza
removed wrong picture!!

Nice! Congrats :D really I'd judge it based on mouth size, there may be some competition but you usually get a lot of variation in a single batch anyways. Only think I have noticed is that eggs don't tend to hatch as easily if you're transferring them to completely different water, so it may be worth hatching them out/keeping them for a few days in the same water as they were laid in before adding them to the grow out :) 

Ok, I will put the eggs in a mini fry net, till they hatch, before putting the little guys in the fry tank....  till the 

Not sure what you mean by register???, should I log, the spawn dates (or hatch dates?), Qtys? Cory Types? 

Little guys should be sterbai or albino corys, I know the latest lot of eggs in albino...

Thanks again for the help!

-Chris

Cool :) 

If you're a financial member you can register breeds of fish with the FNZAS and get certificates in recognition of that :) it's 30 days from the day the become free swimming :) 

Edit: also no problem for the help :) no question is silly, we all come here to learn about our fish and I don't think that process ever really stops :)  

Edited by JJWooble

Little guys are 2 weeks old today (free swimming)... (first batch) second hasn't hatched yet

Is the first time, I've done anything with the eggs... is kinda easyer, due to myself harvesting snails for the dwarf puffers every morning out of the big tank!

not sure what to do with the corys, if they survive, have 20 sterbai, and 5 albino in the main tank, may have to setup a cory only tank? :-)  anyway they need to survive first!!

-Chris

How many litres is the tank they're in again? Corys don't seem to mind having lots of compatriots to hang with :P I've got 20 atm in my 200L and thinking of keeping another 10 from my fry group :) Just the bioload I'd worry about. A cory only tank would be awesome tho :3 

Fingers crossed for the bubbas, I'm sure they will thrive in your care :) 

Main tank is 750litre (but is 88 cm deep), using an fx6 filter, think it's too deep for younger corys... imo...

I notice the albino's dominate the white sand area, with the sterbai hanging out in the weed, darker gravel area...  (they come together at feeding time)

tanks basically the dimension of a 6' coffin!  curved both sides... bottom area, 25 corys, 2 whiptailcats, 3 chain loaches, 2 crazy fat kuhli loaches, and a bristlenose (rest are tetras 100+), 1 kissing gourami..

want to get 5-6 lace gourami's maybe another couple of kissers...

going to have to think about a cory only tank... have 3 tanks at the moment, 750 main, 130 puffer, and 90 fry tank... (ooh and a 22l fighter tank at work)

"I notice the albino's dominate the white sand area, with the sterbai hanging out in the weed, darker gravel area..."

I imagine this is because they feel safer, their respective colourings being camouflaged by the different substrates.

Damn thats a good size. Get another 40 corys in there and you should be off to a good start :P also what kind of whiptails have you got? :3 

I agree with Caryl about the colouring/camoflage, love how interesting fish behaviour can be :3 

Damn thats a good size. Get another 40 corys in there and you should be off to a good start :P also what kind of whiptails have you got? :3 

Not sure what kind of whiptails I have, (they are both girls), they actually, change colour, depending on what surface they are on.... i.e. pale white, when on the sand, and alot darker when on the drift wood, I may have to take some pictures of them....  Yep, I love the corys! not sure if the tank is big enough tho, honestly, the personalities of all my fish, changed, when going into the bigger tank...

Think my tank would be really awesome, if it was just 20cm wider!, (is 40cm at the ends, and 60cm wide at the centre) still I like it... a Friend that showed up in the weekend though it was custom made for the house! fits just right!

I agree with Caryl about the colouring/camoflage, love how interesting fish behaviour can be :3 

Haha, well you should try Emperor Tetras, at water change time, if you want crazy/interesting behaviour.... I will try and take some pic's of the whiptails...

• 2 months later...