Storing NSW

newaqua

Hi Everyone

I would like thoughts on storing Salt Water.

I am looking at putting a cube (they hold 1000L) on a trailer, and going down to the rocks to fill it up. 

My question is, how long do you think it will store in here while still being good? This much water would almost do me for a year of water changes,

Im thinking about leaving it in the garage, and plumbing in an automatic water change system.

Thoughts?

If it would last you a year, why not do something like load the container up with live rock? Put a few powerheads in for circulation and airation then you can get a lot of pods growing in there that way to be fed into your main tank.

Just seems a waste to have it sitting just doing nothing

How do you plan to get the cube off the trailer? 1000L is a tonne after all or do you have a tripper trailer and just slide it off? Also be careful withing towing it. If there are no baffles in the tank, the water can start to slop side to side and build up oscillations leading it to tipping/weird pulling/pushing forces. All tankers have baffles to stop this: http://www.nationaltruckcenter.com/images/1-ISOMETRIC VIEW.jpg And looks like there are purpose built hollow balls to stop this for cubic meter sized tanks: http://d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.net/i/a/2013/20131218ag/AU9885.JPG This probably isn't much of an issue if the tank is completely full as the water has nowhere to move/slop.

I have no idea if holding seawater for long term, removed from the sea would cause some of the organisms to bloom with what nutrients are in the water and nothing to keep them in check? Could use a UV sterilizer used for sterilizing rain water to clean the water? My gut feeling tells me removing 1000L of water from the ecology of the sea, and letting it sit that it would go stagnant from something consuming dead and dieing plankton/micro-organisms. But I have no idea about this, and be completely talking out of my ass.