Fighter Questions

Zimbaliza

Hi, 

Just a couple of questions (I'm thinking about getting a couple of fighters)

1. Will a fighter be able to handle not being fed over a weekend?? (is for a tank on my work desk at the moment)
  2. Will they be able to handle a deep tank? (88cm?)/Current from the FX6 down one end?, was thinking about getting one for my 750 litre tetra tank.

Thanks

-Chris

• 2 months later...

Finally got a fighter! (Taken me ages to get around to it...)

is in a 22litre nano tank...at work,  maybe a little too overplanted at the moment...

pretty surprised at how active he is... seems to do alot of people watching! chilling out of a leaf, only problems... I have...

he doesn't seem to be interested in, daphnia/mossys (so if they start to hatch! I could be in trouble at work!)

also, whiteworms he's not interested at all? 

-Chris

fighter.jpg

My most recent boy was clueless to whiteworms as well at first lol. He did have an association that human finger=foof bringer tho so after he accepted one from my finger he immediately clicked and would accept that shaped/coloured object every time afterwards. Smart fish but you need to give them clues occasionally ;) I miss my boy heaps, he jumped through a small crack in his lid few weeks ago.... good luck with yours :) 

Huh, weird, my guy always liked them. That said, my honey gourami haven't figured out that they're food yet and of my other fish the ones most likely to go for them are the harlequin rasbora and the spiny eel. Every one else doesn't really seem to get it. Fighters are quite 'individualistic' compared to other fish species as well so you can get a range of personalities. I'd say if he prefers his pellets just go with that and maybe try him on some other stuff occasionally, e.g. mosquito larvae, squished snail, bloodworm, blackworm, whiteworm, BBS and figure out what makes him wiggle :) 

Huh, weird, my guy always liked them. That said, my honey gourami haven't figured out that they're food yet and of my other fish the ones most likely to go for them are the harlequin rasbora and the spiny eel. Every one else doesn't really seem to get it. Fighters are quite 'individualistic' compared to other fish species as well so you can get a range of personalities. I'd say if he prefers his pellets just go with that and maybe try him on some other stuff occasionally, e.g. mosquito larvae, squished snail, bloodworm, blackworm, whiteworm, BBS and figure out what makes him wiggle :) 

Yeah I wouldn't suggest putting neons/tetras in general in with them as have heard they're quite nippy and 22 litres is pretty small. Personally I'd only put him in by himself in there but a group of ~6 pygmy corydoras could also work, and they have the upside of being totally and completely adorable :)