Ember Tetras vs Cardinal Tetras

RunningWithScissors

Hi guys, I'm in the process of cycling a new aquarium (70 L ), and I just wanted your opinion on something.

I'm going to have 4 peppered corys in the tank, as well as a school of 8, maybe 10 zebra danios. Can I add a another school and if so, what do you guys think would be better; cardinal or ember tetra?

Thanks in advance!:D

Both are potentially fine, zebras possibly like cooler temps than both tetra species...maybe have a google, embers may be a little less outgoing than cardinals as well. I think zebras are are a pretty active species. plenty of room though with decent filtration and frequent water changes.

Personally would suggest you add at least 6 corys as they can be quite shy when in smaller numbers. Zebras are awesome, love high flow and are very active. I'd lean towards the cardinals over the embers. Cardinals are a bit more robust, more active and will deal with the zebra's high activity level better than the embers I'd say. When I had them, the embers would always be hiding or lurking about near the back of the tank unless feeding lol, and could be a bit shy, whereas the cardinals were more active and confident. 

In terms of temperature compatibility;

Zebras - 18-25 degrees

Cardies- 20-29 degrees

Embers- 20-28 degrees

Peppers- 22-26 degrees 

So they're all compatible temperature wise, you'd just probably want to go somewhere around 23-24 to be on the safe side for the Zebs and Peppers.

If you do go with a school of tetra, maybe wait a few weeks after adding the zebras and peppers before adding them so that your tank can adjust to a higher bioload over time. Also, with schooling species, the higher numbers the better- I'd put 10 zebras, 10 cardinals, 6 peppers in a 70 litre eventually, just keep an eye on the water parameters at first.