160L Stocking Suggestions and Advice

Elfishy

I have a 160l Blue Planet bowfront that I've recently set up with some stones/driftwood/plants and some guppies. Looking at some stage to move the guppies and put in some other fish (ones that don't multiply...).

So far my thoughts are going towards:

• 2-3 Pearl Gourami,
  • Harlequin / Espei Rasboras,
  • Black Neon / Rummynose Tetras
  • 2 GBR's

I'm wondering how compatible they all are, and how many would be comfortable in the tank without making it look cramped.
Any advice appreciated, new to the whole fish thing!

Heres my thoughts -

Pearl Gourami will get too large as they max out around 12cm in length (they are stunning fish and my favourite gourami).

Harlequins look fabulous in groups.

Rummynose also are great in groups, they may spawn in your tank (they are egg scatterers), mine certainly did but it is not a common occurance.

Black neons are also great in groups, a bit more prone to disease than harlequins and rummynose.

2 GBR's (for the life of me I cant think what they are).  Do you mean GBA's - golden blackeyed ancistrus?

So harlequins, rummynose and black neons are all compatible and it depends on whether you want several smaller groups of fish or one larger one.  As far as gourami go, there don't - to my recollection - seem to be any mid sized.  They either group larger or are the dwarf species, and dwarf species are susceptible to stomach issues.  JJwooble on here has bred dwarf honey and is selling her young ones at the moment.  Possibly being NZ bred they will be healthier.

If you decide not to go gourami have a look around for another feature fish.

GBR = German Blue Ram

Thanks.  They are a good choice and if you get a pair will breed in the tank.  They do become slightly aggressive when raising fry but the ones I had were not too bad.  I would consider some sort of cleaner fish - I am thinking like cory which are good waste eaters however once again they do need a group - at least four.  You can get mid sized ones ie Julii and perhaps a bristlenose to eat some of the inevitable algae.

Thanks for the feedback, bit disappointing about the Pearls, but thems the breaks...

I think 2 x GBR's and a single school will be my next choice for fish, and in saying that, how large a school of Harlequins, Espeis or Rummys could go in with: 2 x GBR's, 4 Julii Corys, 1 Bristlenose, 

Is there any option for Honey Gourami in with that selection as well? They're pretty dang cute...

Rummynose and black neons are all compatible and it depends on whether you want several smaller groups of fish or one larger one.  As far as gourami go, there don't - to my recollection - seem to be any mid sized.  They either group larger or are the dwarf species, and dwarf species are susceptible to stomach issues.  JJwooble on here has bred dwarf honey and is selling her young ones at the moment.  Possibly being NZ bred they will be healthier.

My first spawn of honeys were sold out at the Auckland Fishkeepers Association tank crawl-- I do have another spawn going which should be ready in a month or two though, will post up on here so keep an eye out :D I sell them for $8 each. Have so far had no issues with the parents, they're part of a group of 6 who I've kept for a while now and they are all very healthy fish, absolutely adorable too. Would say that they would go fine in a tank with the GBRs etc. provided its well planted as they do like having a bit of cover to retreat to on occasion. 

Go Harlequins :D may just be my preference, but I have a group of 21 in my 200 litre and they are absolutely stunning, very active and are constantly moving together as a group. Also have Rummy Noses which are pretty cool, but the Harlequins are the ones that your eye is drawn to :P Would also suggest increasing your numbers of julii cories, they can be quite shy in numbers below 6 so you may not see them as much in a 160 litre in a group of 4.