starting a new tank

bubbleeyes

hey guys, i've seen some fish i want, however i don't have a tropical tank set up.

i have goldies (bubble eyes) and Turtles. i have bought a tank and was wondering if i can place the filter media in the goldies tank to get the good bacteria in there? or will the temp change kill them? i will raise the temp slowly,or would the turtle tank be better?. 

if i can, how long should i leave it in there? i'm wanting to get the fish asap  so i dont miss out.

TIA

If the new tank is quite large in relation to the number and size of your new fish, and the fish are not a super-sensitive species, then you could probably get away with adding 2 or 3 new fish within a week, once the temperature has come up to their correct range. You will need a source of ammonia to 'feed' the bacteria you have introduced anyway and you might as well use fish that you want, so long as it doesn't cause an overload.

But if you are looking to get a big, messy, expensive, carnivorous fish or something very sensitive to water quality, in a tank only just big enough for it / them, then you should be much, much more cautious. Could you tell us the size / type of your tank and what you are wanting to keep in it? It would help others to comment more helpfully. Good luck with the tank.

Sorry to hear you missed out on the girls, hopefully some more will turn up soon. At least you will have a tank all up and running to put them in. Might be worth checking out some of the other lfs in your region or further afield, they may have some in stock as well, and good stores will be happy to courier to you.

What variety of halfbeak did you get? I know that Redwood aquatics here in Christchurch had red fin halfbeaks listed on their last stock list, but don't know if they still have any.

Good luck with your boy, he will probably love having a tank all to himself!