My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

• 3 weeks later...

:facepalm:

So the tank and cabinetry was finally completed and it looks awesome !

... until

I got it home and my mate that was trying to help and myself managed to drop it , well I am blaming his sweaty hands !

Real unfortunate but hey Shit happens , Greg will be back from leave mid Nov to replace the base , I do think it could be patched but 600litres is a lot of water , anyways , undecided actually on if I patch or replace , either way I am going to wait for Greg's opinion .

In the mean time it has given me time to gather the rest of the equipment etc.

That sucks! You guys are very lucky no one was hurt, it is always my biggest fear when transporting bigger tanks, there have been a couple of close moments (sweaty hands and swairs) but haven't dropped one yet. With a tank this big inside it is always best to get it repaired correctly I am sure Greg can advise you the best way to do this, but if it is cracked them chances are that will be a new base.

I agree with Ryan, it's always best to play it safe with large tanks inside!! This is the very reason why I sold most of my fish/tanks when we moved up here from Auckland, moving big glass tanks is always a risk. Depending on the size/nature of the crack it may be as simple as siliconing another base on-top of the old one, which would make your tank 10-12mm higher but be a hell of a lot easier (and probably stronger) than removing the old base and replacing it. I'm sure Greg will sort it out!

• 1 month later...

Thank's just added a pic , went to NZ Landscape Supplies have to purchase by the Ton , any suggestions where else I could try ?

Try Stone and Water World, just up the road from you in Marua Rd. Not sure if they have limestone, but I've bought other rocks for aquarium use from them.

Try Stone and Water World, just up the road from you in Marua Rd. Not sure if they have limestone, but I've bought other rocks for aquarium use from them.

Have tried Stone and Water World , the don't do Limestone unfortunately , NZ landscaping can only get in the new year , so will keep looking ...

Failing that I will consider using different rock not sure what yet ?

• 3 weeks later...

Went past stone and water world today and saw some walling stone that might save me the trip up north ,

my first choice is the Paradise Stone

20131206_121957_zps30c6168e.jpg

Second choice is Waitaha Schist

20131206_122107_zps5228ae48.jpg

I am using 1-2mm Black marble chip as my substrate ,

Does anyone know if I am not able to use this rock ?

• 2 weeks later...