My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

For me, Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia/pH are essential for any fish keeper, API liquid tests are good enough and reasonably affordable, and they do a four-pack of those essentials. I'd also invest in GH/KH and a TDS meter seems how you're most likely to be playing around with the hardness of your water. Seems like a bit of money at the time, but they will last for yonks once your tank is settled and running.

I looked into a pH pen, but decided given how often I check pH once a tank is running it wasn't worth the issue. I think people place far too much importance on pH, if I had a dollar for every time I'd seen a thread about someone stressing about their pH and trying all sorts of things to fix it without even testing hardness...

well I could possibly afford a pH pen.... :lol:

PH pens seem to go pretty cheap on TM maybe they are crap ... ? , but I think I am gonna take your advice David and get the a "master Freshwater Test Kit" will look at the API as suggested , thanks

I must say I thought PH was the thing to keep an eye on , I should read a little more up on this , I am glad the tank is weeks away , giving me time to find out all that I need to

Been looking at return's , and could do with a bit of advice regarding this to please ...

So 2 x 40mm "herbie" overflow going out , what size should I have as a return ? 25mm ? 32mm ? I love the look of the Loc-line but it seems too small ? anything similar available ?

Temperature Control ?

So going to go for 2 x 300w Jager's , well that's the plan at least ... 650 odd litres ?

Would a controller be needed / suggested ?

What brands are good and where do I get them from ? I found this one from Kens Fish

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/finnex-hc-0810-digital-heater-controller.html

am I on the right track here ?

I've used one of these and found it to be pretty good for the price, seems accurate enough, and I used it for ~12 months with no issues;

http://www.fish-street.com/aquarium_atc ... gory_id=60

Only downside is they are only good for 1000W, on the big tank I'm running a custom one made by a friends father who is an electrical engineer. I know of several people running these from Jehmco and they seem to be highly recommended; http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

Can't comment on the one from Kens sorry, but if you're running more than one heater then I'd highly recommend a controller.

Started getting my equipment together in preparation of the tank arriving , got 3 x 200W Jager's over the weekend , found the 300's just so long ! also ordered a STC-1000 as my temperature controller , had a look at some return pumps...

I got the Laguna PowerJet 11000, AFAIK they're the same pump as the MaxFlo series, but they come with all the waterfall crap for ponds. The MaxFlo wasn't available here but the PJ was, only downside was that I had to buy the adapter for the 40mm/1.5" return plumbing separately.

Do you think I would be alright with a PowerJet 1500 @ 6000LPH or the PowerJet 2000 @ 2000LPH I estimate around 5 foot Head Loss on a 700 Litre system ? ?

Do you think I would be alright with a PowerJet 1500 @ 6000LPH or the PowerJet 2000 @ 2000LPH I estimate around 5 foot Head Loss on a 700 Litre system ? ?

Is that the right figure for the PJ2000?

I think you'd want to shoot for at least 4-5 times turn over after the head loss etc, maybe more if you're planning on heavily stocking it.

Is that the right figure for the PJ2000?

I think you'd want to shoot for at least 4-5 times turn over after the head loss etc, maybe more if you're planning on heavily stocking it.

Sorry , 7600LPH for the PJ 2000 .

You think the PJ2000 then ? I am struggling to get my head around head loss etc.

IMO it really is just guess work! Take the figure that the manufacturer quotes at the vertical height of your tank, deduct a bit based on the size and complexity of your return plumbing, then round it down a little to allow for a bit of a "fudge factor". There are figures out there that can be used to calculate the friction loss from piping and elbows etc, but the required turn over isn't an exact science so I think you'd be right with the PJ2000. Is that 7600LPH at zero head, or 5'?

The 'Maximum Flow' figure is with zero head. Based on this chart you'd be looking at about 5-5500LPH at 5' head, depending on the return plumbing of course. IMO that is sufficient for your tank size, and I'd say go with at least 32mm pipe for the return.

Thanks David , that has put me at ease , I am going to cost it up now , do you know if I could order the 1.25" adapter from HFF too ?

Yeah I found some on amazon too , also found them on Tubby.co.nz anyone had experience buying from them ?

Its the Click fit ones I need right ? PT-640 ?

http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/connectors/connectors1.php?link=192

So... just heard from HFF and no more laguna pumps , there are 3 left

Free Flo 1500

Free Flo 3500

and a Free Flow 11000

Might have to look at an alternative or ship one in :facepalm: