My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello All !

I have been lurking around the forum for ages now , doing my own research from other peoples tanks etc. and have now started the process of my own !

I have never kept Africans before so any advise given will be greatly appreciated :bggrn:

I have ordered my tank yesterday and expect to have that and the cabinetry completed in about 4 weeks'ish so that I can then start cycling !

Here's what I am planning :

The tank will be 1700mm x 600mm x 600mm - with 150mm full wall overflow on the left, so the actual viewable size of the tank will be 1550mm , Here is a pic of the planned setup.

Tankandcabinet_zpsbb0a7598.jpg

Sump will be in the left two thirds of the cabinet - yet to finalise my Sump design but have an idea of what I want to do and will ask for advice closer to that time .

So The tank will be 612 litres and 1 meter off the ground

I am having 3 holes drilled in the tank 1 main drain Durso ,1 emergency and 1 return

I was thinking of 32mm Durso and Emergency but have been thinking I should maybe go 40mm ?

Equipment planned : (please let me know if I am under or over compensating)

Return Pump - Eheim compact 5000 or Tunze Silence 300

Heaters - 2 x 300w Jagers

Water movement - Well this depends on how many pennies I have left ! Would love a Ecotech MP40 but will probably settle for a cheaper alt.

Lighting - I will be going LED on this , just have not decided what yet ?

So far I want Black Substrate 1-2mm Black Marble chip and was hoping for a Grey type rock alpine schist or Limestone .

I am hoping to put in the following Cichlids

- Electric Yellows

- Yellow tail Acei if I can find them

- Red Zebra

- Peacocks

- Demasoni

- 1 or 2 Cuckoo Syndonitis

- 2-3 Bristlenose pleco's

I was thinking 40-50 Cichlids ? Will that be alright ?

Anyways , I am real amped to get this going and look forward to the advice I will hopefully be getting ... :thup:

T.

Hi Greg has also built my tank 1.800x600x600 I have no idea of sumps so relied on his expertise on the holes etc he has suggested 42mm I have been looking into a Jebao DCT 9000 need to find out if that size will be ok with my volume of water 648ltrs I already have cichlids in another tank of 450ltrs and love them they have all grown up together blue dolphins yellows and pink convicts all get on well and some catfish I am enjoying ready your story and am looking at some of the Ideas you have been sent they are helpful my tank will be on its way next week now the cabinet