Prices on second hand and new tanks

GrahamC

There seems to be a huge variation on the prices of 2nd hand tanks. I need a tank for my new office in Napier and I suspect I am going to have one custom built. The architect has planned for one 1650 x 45 x 45 and a glazier in Napier quoted me $2400 in 10 mm glass. Another glazier in Wgton quoted me $300 though it would cost me extra to have it crated and then delivered. The latter also said he coud build a steel frame and let my cabinet maker cover it so it matches the office kitchen.

And then I see tanks on trademe 2.4m long for $890, and smaller ones here for even more.

So, how does one calculate what an appropriate price?

It is worth what someone wants to pay. If you go to a glazier to get one made they will usually charge retail for the glass but if you buy offcuts you will get the glass for about half that. The thicker glass is used for larger windows so some offcuts can be a good size while thinner glass can be used right down to louvre windows so is all generally retail. Some tank makers get the glass cheap because they buy all the offcuts and the merchants don't have to pay heaps to dump it. I went where I usually go to get my glass to make a tank and because of the quakes no one was buying it and they had just paid $600 to dump it.

Another glazier in Wgton quoted me $300 though it would cost me extra to have it crated and then delivered. The latter also said he coud build a steel frame and let my cabinet maker cover it so it matches the office kitchen.

Port Nicholson glass? If so go with him, he's good. And that's a great price.

my tank 200 x 90 x 60 in 12mm glass cost $1400 (if i remember correctly), i was also quoted $1000 by another company but they were going to make it slightly different. Tell that glazier asking for $2400 for a small tank to shove it up..

I got one similar to this but for around $900. These guys used a bit of recycled glass to keep the price down.

I imagine quite a few of the glaziers do. retail for new glass is horrendous at the moment as i found when i was pricing my latest.

Just make sure that whoever you use have a good reputation for making tanks, just because they are glaziers does not make them an expert at making tanks. 300 odd litres of water on your office floor is not a good look for your business, and if it is in public view the safety of your clients is also a concern.