Oranges and lemons?

aquariumbeginner32

So I have been looking up ways to enhance the fishies colors. I plan to get some Spirulina flakes ASAP and they get fruit and veges, tropical flakes, color enhancing flakes, bloodworms and fish dinners. I read online somewhere about putting orange and lemon in the tank.... anyone done this or heard of it?

I do large water changes weekly because I guess I tend to overfeed ... never follow the 'what they can eat in 5 minutes' rule. :oops: I'm always worried they won't get enough to eat.... I do 80-90% water change weekly sometimes 2x a week... depends on how often I think it needs it.

Putting lemon and oranges in your tank probaly wont do anything to change the colour of your fish it will only lower your pH. There is though the thing where fish adapt to the colours around them and change colours accordingly. You need to remember that the colour of a fish can only be enhanced to a certain extent.

I wouldn't worry about it effecting your PH unless you're putting huge amounts in. You shouldn't be putting in more than a handful of small bits anyway.

My fish were completely uninterested the time I tried feeding them oranges, but I haven't tried for a long time.

Yeah what I was going to do was put them in the night before I do my next water change... if it doesn't make any difference I won't do it again.

Just wondering why one of my guppies doesn't seem to be as colorful as it was when I got it from the LFS. It's a green one with leopard sort of markings and it seems more yellow than green and has lost some color. Mind you, I have noticed that a lot of my guppies colors seem to change. Like particular areas get darker and then they are lighter again....

All the other fish seem fine. That's why I was thinking spirulina flakes because apparently if you want to enhance color in blue/green fish you need to use green foods. So I wasn't sure that oranges and lemons would help anyway.