Cheap tank second hand

Sheepsnana

Hey all,

I have got my hands on a cheap second hand tank. :happy2: It's in dire need of a clean, but it's about 245L (1100Lx500Hx450W) and the price was right :thup:

194606041_full.jpg

It came with a Via Aqua 230 Pro canister filter. Although I have been looking at canister filters, this brand is unknown to me. It looks in good condition, but the lower canister is empty, so I will need to buy another sponge and some noodles.

194606360_full.jpg

Does anyone know this brand? Is it capable of filtering the tank in question? (Please be specific in how many litres it CAN filter...)

I'm sure there are others who have bought 2nd hand filters before...? What are the do's and don't's? Is there anything I should run through it to make sure it's safe? How can I transfer some of the good bacteria in my 90L tank to this new tank, to help with cycling?

I'ld love to say this is a good start to my MTS, but the wife is adamant that the new tank is to REPLACE the existing tank. I've got to work quickly, as she hasn't mentioned a time frame yet :o

Thanks in advance,

John

I think the via aqua is the older version of the aquaone CF, so an ok filter (I have a CF1200)

Via Aqua 230 Canister Filter 600 Liters per Hour

for use on aquariums up to 30 gallons [130 odd l]

Should be ok for a the tank for a start if the stock rate is not too high, if and when you can afford a better one the CF1200 would be a good size for that tank

yes it does need a clean :wink: and the stand will come up really well if you brush it down with either a wire brush or wire wool and then spray it with enamel black spray paint. Its amazing how good they can look.

IMO the filter will be struggling so if you have another filter, even an internal would help. You are best to aim for a filter to provide a minimum turnover of 4 x the volume of water per hour although a lot of us tend to go for 10 x the volume per hour.

Ok, so definitely more filtration required. :facepalm:

Any idea's on priming a filter? I've only dealt with brand new ones before. Any tips?

The process doesn't change any if it's used or new. Suck on the outlet so it's siphoning into the cannister, connect everything back up, turn it on.

I would scrap that filter and buy a new aquaone cannister filter, like 1200+ . You will be amazed how much better it will clean the water and provide good circulation.

I actually had that same brand filter (same condition by the looks of it) on a 400L tank i bought and i had it running for a 4 days before i biffed it.

what are you going to setup in to...planted tank doesnt need so much filtration.

get it running with that filter.once running and setting down add fish..in a mouth or two get anthor fillter hook it up.

so you end up with two on the tank..and clean one filter at six month intervals to keep you tank stable..

you should be sweet...

cant wait to see what you do ..... :happy2:

It seems like the previous owner wanted to do a sump. I've cleaned it out, I'm cleaning the stand tomorrow. (Got some sand paper and spraypaint from work, I've got some timber lying around, should be good).

I have no idea how to do a sump or how one works, but there is a seperate section at the back, similar to undergravel filters.

Ideas please. Lots of them.

The wife has OK'd me getting the CF1200 from HFF !drool: .

How do I transfer my fish from my current tank to my new tank without killing them? I didn't do a fishless cycle, my Tetra's have served me well. Didn't lose a single one of them.

Logic would say, set up and cycle the new tank, then move the fish. But I want to use the gravel from the existing tank... am I deluded?

easy..when ready to more fish...put fish in a bucket with there tank water..more everthing from the tank into new tank.

and water from old tank.get heater and fitler running...put fish in top up with freshwater.if running on the other tank a filter run that as well on new tank to sead it in ..

keep water changes up..and feed less for a week...as it will go thourgh a mini clcyle...youll be way...

Hmmm, I was thinking something along those lines... :cofn:

I was going to borrow my brothers turtle tank (I got him a new tank, so he shouldn't mind me borrowing the 50L empty smaller one...)

Transfer some tank water to the turtle tank.

Move fish to turtle tank.

Move as much water possible to turtle tank.

Take out ornaments, plants, and gravel, and move them to new 245L tank.

Swap filter materia from current 90L tank to new CF filter.

if running on the other tank a filter run that as well on new tank to sead it in ..
I wish! sadly, the current tank AR620 has the filter as part of the tank, so it cannot be adapted to the new 245L tank.

Transfer some of the water from the turtle tank to the new 245L tank.

Get heater up and running.

Transfer fish to new 245L tank.

Transfer as much of the remaining water from the turtle tank to the 245L tank as possible.

Top up with new water.

Hope for the best. :-?

Ok, so I've read up on sumps, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't one of them. I have got some photo's to show what the tank's set up is. There are also glass slates that sit on top of these, but I havn't put them in yet (Not sure if I will at all...)

27112011.jpg

27112011001.jpg

27112011002.jpg

27112011003.jpg

27112011004.jpg

Also, I have filed and sanded the tank stand, so it's no longer a rustbucket. Big thanks to my Wife for helping! :kiss:

27112011005.jpg

She also let me buy the Aqua One CF1200 from Animal Antics, so I didn't have to get it from HFF. I'm stoked to be able to support our local store.

Dad has dropped off the turtle tank, it's smaller than I hoped, but it will at least save some tank water.

:smot: I went looking for a shark air swimmer at the hobby shop in Greerton, and the pet store sold me a kitten :digH: The wife is happy, so I'm happy.

Again: Got all the supplies for the kitten from Animal Antics...

Advantages / Disadvantages of using one?

advantage = a filter

disadvantage = not very efficient, can be dangerous to rely on, you're missing the grate and airpump required to run it.

I wouldn't but I'm weary of these things. But that is certainly what the glass work looks like it's for. I've never seen a permanent one built into a tank and I assume I never will again.

under gravel can work as long you have anuff gravel to cover the plate ...i think from remeber 50 to 80 mm of gravel..

if you fit a power head on the up rigths you get better filter...

make sure you clean that area more to keep the gravel free and not blocking up with

dirt etc..

only another down side you cant have plants growing where the fitter is as it clogs the filter..

or you have fish that dig up gravel...upset the blance...

down side you cant have plants growing where the fitter is as it clogs the filter..

Well, there goes that idea then, I love my plants and want a heavily plated tank.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. :thup:

What about removing silicone? If I am to take the glass slates out, any advice on how to do this without scratching the glass?

I'm getting the plywood tomorrow, to build the cupboards around the stand legs.

:dunno: Does this thread need to be moved to DIY?

Can't wait :bounce: everything is going together nicely.

Well, there goes that idea then, I love my plants and want a heavily plated tank.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. :thup:

What about removing silicone? If I am to take the glass slates out, any advice on how to do this without scratching the glass?

I'm getting the plywood tomorrow, to build the cupboards around the stand legs.

:dunno: Does this thread need to be moved to DIY?

Can't wait :bounce: everything is going together nicely.

Single sided razor blade will get the silicon/glass off. Just slide it along between the bit of glass that you want to cut off. I haven't noticed any major scratching from doing this as the blade stays pretty flat against the glass. Just take your time and not force it.