Looking for Methylene Chloride

wayneh

Dichloromethane chemically welds certain plastics (for example, it is used to seal the casing of electric meters). Often sold as a main component of plastic welding adhesives it is also used extensively in the modelmaking industry for joining plastic components together - it is commonly referred to as "Di-clo."

have you tried a model making shop?

You can use methylene chloride or methyl trichloride (chloroform). I know you can get methyl trichloride from pharmacies. Obviously, you'll have to tell them why you want it and probably provide ID and a phone number and address, but as long as you don't look like a creepy rapist/stalker, you'll be good.

EDIT: it comes in 50ml from memory. Just realised I sound like a creepy stalker with all this knowledge about chloroform...

i have often wondered:

if you were to stand in a street with a damp cloth and propose to people passing by "does this smell like chloroform to you?"

and how many people would sniff it...

:lol:

lmao worlds most successful pickup line :wink:

If anyone thought imsmith sounded like a creepy stalker I'm about to sound worse

i have often wondered:

if you were to stand in a street with a damp cloth and propose to people passing by "does this smell like chloroform to you?"

and how many people would sniff it...

It does not work instantly it takes some time to take effect.

If anyone thought imsmith sounded like a creepy stalker I'm about to sound worse

It does not work instantly it takes some time to take effect.

I'm gonna trump the creepy stakes...been there, done that, I know it takes a while. Smells good though!

Here is what I have found so far.... Thanks for all you suggestions...

Scientic supplies in Panmure? Penrose sells 1 litre for $22. but you need a materials handling certificate and an account with them to purchase it. As well as some other certificate they mentioned....

However Marketing chemicals in Church St penrose will sell me 5 litres for $45 inc. no hassles. Go figure...

I had not heard of using Methyl Trichloride (chloroform) for this, is it as good as the Methylene Chloride. I have enough acrylic here to make a couple of small tanks and was going to "have a go" at that as well... But dont want the hole thing bursting apart on me if I have used the wrong stuff....

I did get some acrylic glue from the acrylic sheet supplier, but it is very thick and needs thinning (hence the MC as well). but for longer joints this stuff dries to quickly and I need something that will "seep" into the joint.

Model shops only stock plastic cement based on M.E.K (methyl Ethyl Keytone, or something like that) as models are made from styrene based plastics and does not seem to work well on Acrylic's.

Thanks for all the help, if anyone else needs any of this stuff, I should have about 4.8 litres of it spare by the end of the week.

Cheers

Wayne

P.S. Love the "does this smell like chloroform to you?" - ROTFL

lf you're using it to stick a whole tank together you need to use silicone. Methyl Trichloride and Methyl Chloride are used to stick acrylic together but they are not good weight bearers - use the Methyl Trichloride AND silicone, or just stick with silicone.

lf you're using it to stick a whole tank together you need to use silicone. Methyl Trichloride and Methyl Chloride are used to stick acrylic together but they are not good weight bearers - use the Methyl Trichloride AND silicone, or just stick with silicone.

I thought silicone doesn't stick to acrylic? Not in the way it sticks to glass anyway.

I beg to differ, Silicone will not adhere to acrylic and the Methylene Chloride, also known as Dichloromethane (common name) is a solvent and will dissolve the acrylic in the joint and literally weld the joint together once it has evaporated. Most of the "plastic cement" you buy from a shop such as the Glue Guru on the north shore is created by adding a portion of the plastic to a solvent such as Methylene Chloride to "thicken" it.

Much the same way as polystyrene cement for plastic model making is made from M.E.K (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) and polystyrene beads (I know, my father used to make the stuff for one of the model suppliers here in Auckland).

And yes I mean the same Polystyrene as you have under your tank, just drop a bit of MEK on it and watch it disappear into a milky clear sticky goo....

Thanks to all those who helped with suggestions by the way. The outcome of my search...

I purchased today 1 litre of Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) from Marketing Chemicals of 343 Church St, Penrose for $10. More than enough to do what I wanted but a lot better than having to buy 5 or 20 litres. All in all these guys were pretty helpful and I recommend them for anything like this you may need. No hassles no fuss.

Cheers

Wayne

• 1 year later...