Austrolebias Nigripinnis

Barrie

EJ, our most successful Nigripinnis breeder, has asked me to post a photo of his main/best breeding setup for these fish. He gets great results in numbers of eggs and hatch rates.

The breeding setup is outside and will not show the fish all that well but thats why we also have tanks for.

I intend doing a similar set up at my home as the bonus is a beautiful display as well.

No, Im not jokeing and Im sure EJ will answer any questions you may have

DSC00864.jpg

Thank you Barrie for posting the photo!

I do not catch them, they stay there with 2 clay pots, one in each end, all year round.

When I do have to ctch them for some reason, I just take out the Water Lillys.

Cheers,

EJ

Very nice.

Now where are the photos of the fish? :)

a photo of his main/best breeding setup for these fish.

that was just a ploy to get us to look :D :lol:

Na, i think it's awesome. Most of my lily plants got a bashing from the lamb eating them, even the flowers!! But lamb is in the freezer now and the lillies are kicking back.

Whats the longest anyone here has had an adult live for?

I have had them looking good and still breeding at 18 months and I only lost that pair when a pocket of air became trapped in the peat. Ihad just put the peat in 5 minutes before I went away for 5 days so when the fish dived through, they couldnt get out again... never had it before and doupt that it will ever happen again

Hi jc360,

In this outside container I have 4 males and 10 females approxmately, soon there will be another 3 pairs from my fish room.

I raise the fry in a plastic container 150mm X 300mm X 100mm high, and I always use an oxygen tablet in with them for the first month or so, this is to avoid "belly sliders" I was told to do so by a freind in Denmark.

I then transfer them to a similar container without the peat, again the oxygen tablet and a couple of snails, the snails will eat any left over food.

The fry will take Brine Shrimp from the beginning, but I always give them green water the first week, just to make sure the smalest fry get food.

Hope this helps.

I've been in love with this fish from when i started fish keeping, but due to them being so rare I have been too nervous to get them - the shame if they died would be too much for me to bare!

Would they survive in an outdoor tank during Summer? For example a 4 foot tank, maybe half full, with water lillies or something similar in so they can be semi-submerged and have leaves growing out of the water like in the first picture?

Do you do any water changes or do you allow for rain water to top up anything that evaporates?

Ok with no proper filtration as well?

Nigripinnis are peat divers

This means they dive into the peat and will completely dissapare.

Yesterday I removed a peat pot with no fish showing and just as I was about to empty the contents (the peat) into a net to squeeze the water out, a female came up

As EJ said, he uses plant pots, I use weighted plastic containers with a hole cut in the top to allow the fish to enter.

They will not breed in mops at all

Another thing that it would pay to do is join the Killi club... That way we can all keep an eye on what everyone has so they dont die out as a few other specie have. Even if you loose them, its knowledge we need to have/know.

Probably the most common peat spawner we had here 12 months ago was the Korthausae Yellow but they were so common that not many people bred them, now they are in short supply.

Another was possibly the easiest Notho to breed, the Guentheri reds, and they almost died out but thankfully we were able to get the few remaining and get those going again.

Nigripinnis are without a doupt, the most beautiful Killi you will ever see in natural sunlight and we need to keep track on them to make sure they dont dissapare

Well today is the big wet. Spawned a trio for about 6 days into peat and stored it at 25deg C in an incubator. So far have 6 fry and still watching. Also wet 17 eggs that were also stored in peat in a small plastic container from same incubator. I wet them later so none yet. The second lot were spawned on sand then stored in peat. The ones in between these two and stored on fabric were a disaster and all went to killi heaven prematurely. At least we get to take that off the list of alternatives that work. I have another lot that was on fabric which no doubt will be knocking on the pearly gates, and another on peat in a snap lock bag. These still need more time.

Will report results on the first two in a couple of days.